Combines N6 questions

doug

If the a_c belt won't stay on check to see if the mounting bracket isn't broke and everything runs in alighnment. What we have found is probably your viabration dampner on the front of the crankshaft is getting bad and causes the belt to fly off. As far as the cummins conversion this cost is about 13,500.00 and another 1,800.00 for the mounting kit. You would have to really like your N6 alot or plan on keeping it for a long time to make this pay! Take care of your engine, it should last you a long time if you replace the rod brgs. at 1400hr. intervals. The N6 combine is a good work horse and can push almost any other combine on the market.

Tom

Rob it is always a good idea to sample engine oil on a regular basis but for an N5_N6 it is a must. Oil sampling has saved my butt on engines from an old Oliver to a 3208 Cat and a 903 Cummins. $10 for an oil sample is cheap insurance. Good luck with that N6. I have a modified R60 that is an N6 with a different paint job and a couple of other things. Great capacity when it is set up correctly. Tom Russell

Dan

I've seen lots of vibration dampers go bad and throw off a-c belt just be happy it hasn't taken your crankshaft. Of course the later the machine the better for they do normally beaf up the weak spots with time. 1982 or newer will accept the heavier series 3 headers. The best thing the company could have done early on is shim the helicals and install four paddle discharge for than these machine wouldn't have gotten worked to death. I'm not sure if these machine were any worse than any other color but I do believe inovation does sometimes come with a cost. Gleaner has now had a Rotary on the market for 20 years and combines for 75 years. Good day. Dan

Tom

Hi Rob The Gleaner Rotary Improvement Program (R.I.P) brought all rotaries up to an 83 or 84 level (I cant remember exactly). Also, the dealers' bulletin book has all updates since day 1 to today. Your dealer should be willing to share this info with you. As for speed, my R60 with 6 row Hugger will pick corn at 6mph and beans as fast as the 525 head will cut them (3-5mph). I did the same mods suggested by Hyper Harvest on this board and they are doing very well for me. One word of caution: avoid retracting your bin unloader when it is full. There are never too many questions. Good luck. Tom Russell

Dan

You maybe allready got No. 3 fixed but if not. Have the other two modules with lights checked to see they arn't sending the alarm signal. Also check the fuzes for them modules. last but not least be sure the module plugs are making a good connection and there is not rodent damage to harness. Good luck. Dan

hunter

WE have two N 5's for sale want $4500 for them. Both run and are in good shape and we can not find a buyer for them. Salvage dealers want them for parts but will give only $1500.

Ag__teacher

Hunter, email me with your phone number so we can talk, please. We may be interested. I would like to know about the combine location, hours options, etc.

hunter

South east Nebraska. WE have 3 heads 2 small grain heads and 1 floating head for beans. Had a Johndeere row crop head but converted it to fit R62. email kriv961@yahoo.com or call 402 946 7191