Combines Case Wake Up

ozzie_pete

with regard to getting dirty first thing in the morning the rework we had done on the cab air intake on our 2188 was an absolute bloody master piece, not only did they hang the filter right above the wheel where it can suck up the maximum amount of dust, but they put a cover on it so no dust etc will fall away from it. When you open the door on the right hand side to clean it and undo the retaining nuts you get covered in dust etc,does any body know who tests this crud before they fit it.Having come from a gleaner i don`t find the morning service any bother but i am amazed at some of these improvements!!! I think all company`s must be the same all the testing is done in an airconditioned office in some high rise office building.Has any body come up with any better ideas re this air intake,i thought a cover over the original one with a short pipe and hat up into the clean air, as with the older gleaners all the best from down under.

Rod

Going from 2 pull types to 1 2188 means about 1 hour less maintenance each morning, so I don't feel there are too many grease zerks. That cab air filter is annoying. I have thought about mounting it on the outside of that access door and extending the flexible hose. Should be easy to do and will get it out of the dust, but might look kind of dumb. My peeve is with the curved glass, large wiper and short feeder house. I find it very dangerous to clean the window and annoying with that large wiper, why couldn't it be on a hinge that flips it out 90 degrees. (Japanese cars have done this for 3 decades). Good visibility with large window but it is time there was a longer feederhouse to eliminate neck strain and make it safer to clean window. I don't like having to look through the steering wheel to see the header. Rod

Todd_in_KS

Well, we too have been tried and true red guys on the combine side. While there is a purpose I know, but all of these safety shields do get in the way, and can be a nuisance. If a little common sense was used, they wouldn't be needed. The auger is a pain with bin extensions, as we found out this year, but isn't too bad. As far as cab air, they had it right on the 1600 series I believe, and when you shut the door, it cleaned itself, you could do it repeatedly till it was clean also.

Todd_in_KS

Can't figure out how to do that part 2 stuff. On the engineering side, they really need a wider feeder house, and longer would be nice also. While at the KC Farm Show, I finally got a chance to look the big Deere over. I hate to say it, but with appearance, I was impressed, and would like to run one of 'em in the field, but probably ought to be the small one, so it will be closer to the same class as our red one. Which is another subject, when are the going to make a true class 6, or even 7 to keep up. I believe they would catch more of the custom cutter market than they already have, but maybe that is what they are afraid of. My $.04 worth

roster

Agree with the above posts- it is interesting to note the evolutionary changes they have undergone. I have a 14 series, and acquired a 21 series last year. On the surface they seem to have improved many of the weak points of the 14's. However, it was interesting to run the 21 all season and note that alot really hadn't changed. Having leased a new 9600 two years ago, I can say that the 21 series has a much better cab and controls. The 9600 cab was a quantum leap over my 1480, but the visability and ease of use of the 21 controls was superior over the 9600. My main beef with 21 and 23 series is the build quality. By this I mean that they still have not improved the durability of the threshing components over the 14 series at all. These combines have so many less moving parts than a green one, but seem to cost the same over a typical operational lifetime to keep running. I was given a dealer shop quote (wish list) on my combine with 1200 separator hours stating that it needed $7.5K in bars, concaves, ears, etc to get into spec. Just things like the concave support-a hollow pipe- how many years did that continue before they decided to put a solid rod in there. The engineers just kept cranking up the horsepower through every series- but never had the time or budget to beef up the rotor and threshing area. Just kept giving them more power- but now the PTO's are failing. You take a typical green combine, you won't have to crack open the machine that until twice that many hrs. But I'm not saying its cheaper to run over time- more like pick your poison; red is simpler but lighter built, green is more complicated but better made. I like the 21 series combine- but could be so much better. They should have made the 23's threshing components heavier or with better materials, and beef up the bearings, chains, belts etc. So concerned about horsepower, they don't care about longevity. my .02

roster

One additional- looking for equipment a couple of weeks ago and two of the CaseIH dealers we stopped at- in Mandan and Washburn, ND each had a new Case_MacDon draper head on their lot. Both were 30's I think.

SDman

To be honest with you, I haven't seen a 1042 header up close. We've sold MacDons for years and probably will continue to sell them instead of 1042s. One salesman told me that the same header was $3-4000 cheaper in MacDon black instead of CaseIH red, so that may be 1 reason MacDons are favored over the CaseIHs. MacDon themselves have given us good service over the years. They also have their Harvest Support truck at our sister dealership(as well as Case),so parts availability in the middle of harvest is good. As far as availability of the 1042s, it seems that last year they were really pushed "down under" in Australia as opposed to North America. Don't know the story there, maybe MacDon is not operating in "Aussie" like they are in NA(maybe Redfan or somebody else from Australia can fill me in on this.) As far as the cab filter, I agree with you guys. We were told by engineering that we are all too concerned about the filter. In their tests, the cab filter was duct-taped up completely except for a 1_2" square area of the filter media and it passed all of their cab pressurization tests. They are bound determined that it will work. Enough of that, I guess.

parksy

Excellent post below.Sure do hate the auger grease zerks always grease daily (get dirty first thing) and still lose one before end of season.We have had chain oiler installed for last 5 years it is a must. My beefs are the new ladder it sucks! One other improvement I would pay for is adjustable sieve from the side of combine or better yet from inside cab. thank the case boys for putting concave clearance inside the cab as NH had for over 20 years now. 90 gallon fuel tank on a 2366 does not cut it for me. Who makes these decisions they should drive one for a day! Wish they would have centre maker for the tracker. Gas shock on the engine compartmet to hold it open with bin extensions installed.Oh in a perfect world!!

riceman

A neighbor ran a 2188 for two years. After the first two years were up and into the third year, he had numerous bearings go out and lots of small things go wrong. He said that some of the sheet metal around the rotor was cracking under the stress. Just split up the side. His wife ran the machine and only her. He got frustrated at teh machine and the dealer would not do anything about the problems so he traded for a Deere conventional machine. Has had it three years with hardly any trouble. He said, and I hear it from a lot of Red farmers, that IH machines are good for about 2 years. After that, it will nickel and dime you to death. I have no doubts that a Red machine will outcut a Deere for the first two years, but as for the longevity of itIJ I am not so sure. lots of early 9600's around me running but can't tell you the last time I saw a 1680 running in the field. I think there would be more people run Red but our dealer is kind of sorry. like "I can get you that part in 3 days", thats no good when Deere will either have it or will overnight it and will be here by 6:00 in the morning. I believe Deere might not be the best but at least they will stand behind their machines.Each machine has its goo and bad points. Wish I could put bits and pieces of each into one machine. That would be the perfect solution, but you just have to choose what best suits your needs.

Jamer

You ever try talking to one of these engineersIJ If it's not their idea, it's no good! Know what I meanIJ "Well what do you expect with those unloader zerksIJ It's an unauthorized bin extension