Combines Spring Time

customcutter

We've had good luck laying down nice windrows with pretty good straw in the past. If your machine has a straw chopper, pull out the chopper knives and put it in the slower speed. Then pull your spinners off like you said and it'll lay down a nice, narrow, compact windrow. Since you were on the subject, being an Iowa St. Cyclone fan, I'm having trouble not hating the Spartans right now and the fact that the Midwest Regional Finals were in Auburn Hills, a decided advantage. I truly believe that, sadly enough, the two best teams in the tourney played in the Regional Finals instead of in the Nat'l Championship game in Indy. Here in Iowa we'll be holding round-the-clock prayer vigils for Marcus Fizer to stay one more year.

PharmD2B

I know what you mean Farmer Ed, I'm about to graduate. Only 22 days, 13 hours... you get the point. Not that I'm counting or anything, I just can't wait to get out of the "Big City". Hopefully I have enough time to plant some beans before I have to start my rotations. Too bad my Vols didn't keep winning, but they got farther than I expected them to. I guess I'll have to wait until the girls win to celebrate. I'm sorry I can't help you with your CIH question, we have a deere. Don't blast me for that please, not trying to start a color war. That's just all we have ever owned is deere combines, I say run whatever you feel comfortable with, be it JD, CIH, or whatever brand you like. Well I guess I've rambled enough myself, time to get back to studying, you know exams are!! I wish your team Michigan State good luck, since my team is out now!

Big_Al

Just want to add to what customcutter said we do all that and we also put our rotor in low range and if possible try and combine when your straw is not BONE dry if you don"t have the straw chopper you can lower the pan on your beater to help you form breaking your straw hope this helps. Oh I was pulling for OSU they didn't do to bad

Shane

When we want to drop our customer's wheat straw, we slow the chopper down half speed by moving the belt on the two pulleys. We also lower the pan that is under the chopper all the way. Take the cutter bar out and take the spreaders off. If possible, it would also help to put the rotor in low gear if the crop is thinner. Hope this helped.