Combines STS vs 2388

customcutter

We had a 9650 against a 2388 in corn, both w_ 8 row headers last fall. The 2388 hung with it when we had them one-behind-the-other, but he backed off when a cob hit the windshield too hard for comfort. I was in the deere and I had more horsepower to increase ground speed, but I had problems with ears bouncing out of the head, which defeats the point of having that much horsepower with only an 8-row on there. Both have enough for 12 rows (both meaning both size STS's),and probably too much for and 8-row.

SilverTurnedGreen

I had the opportunity to operate a 9650STS along side a 2388 in heavy wheat, both machines pushing 25'. The Deere seemed to have a good 1 to 1.5 mile per hour advantage over the 2388. Both machines did an excellent job and were set-up by experienced operators. The farmer bought another CaseIH anyway!

ihc_afc

For what it is worth, I saw an STS run last fall in beans and corn. That thing left so much grain on the ground that I would never consider one. Also, 3 moving parts to the AF's 1. I also couldn't see that it was built all that well. When they got in beans and sidehills, the STS operator had spotters all over the field with 2-way radios giving instructions on how to set what, to keep the grain off the ground. The folks at New Holland dubbed the STS the "straight thru seeder"! I also talked to several people that used an STS to get familiar with it , and they said the same thing; it is hard to keep grain from going out the back in huge quantities. Hang in there. CIH has a new design up its sleeve that will have greater capacity than a 2388, be easier to service, and get rid of the biggest problem of all, roping!! What the heck are you people doing to an AF combine to only get a few years out of themIJIJ That is hard to believe.

Deerebines

Just what kind of a flippin answer was thatIJ Give comparison Gunner, not start a color war.......that's the question. Deerebines

johnboy

i operated a 9750 sts and found it does a good job .it was easy to set up and grain loss was small. we operate gleaners so i won't talk about the 2388 but found the 9750 was close to the R72 although the sts we worked never had a straw-chopper and the gleaners do. i thought that the sts would be better with more horsepower for heavy crops but that is just my 20 cents worth.john

SilverTurnedGreen

I demo'd a 9650STS and CIH 2288 against my 9610. In heavy wheat pushing 25' heads, the 9650STS was a solid 1 mph ahead of both my 9610 AND the 2388, with comparable grain loss and sample cleanliness. Similar results in soys and corn, pushing an 8 row narrow head in 165 bushel corn. There is a bit of a price difference between the Deere and the CIH; - this has to be considered as well.

salesman

i hear deere is having a small problem with rotors, concaves and thrashing parts. i heard from a very good source (they own a 9750sts, and hate it) that when they tried to order a rotor and concaves there were 897 units ahead of them on backorder. sounds like big green has a problem.

slack

is any one having any hassles at all with their sts combines ,hp , grain loss , damaged grain ,blockages in rotor cage