Combines Combine Updates

ihc_afc

Go to your local CIH dealer and pick up a copy of Parts Marketing News-support kits for axial flow combines. You can update alot of things from the 1600 series to current 2300 series features.

roster

The kits worth the money for us were the torque sensing rotor, the fan upgrade and the ground level battery box. The torque sensing rotor helps in tough conditions and the fan helps even if you have the regular shoe. The battery box is convenient, and moves the batteries out of the engine heat. I don't know what year the torque sensing rotor became standard; you may already have that. I don't think the battery box became standard until the 21 series. Those were the upgrades we did and saw a benefit from.

shellman

I agree that the fan is worth the money. You don't get any more air on the shoe, but the flow is definately better with no dead spots. I also moved the batteries. My machine is a 87 model with navistar engine and the relocation kit is for cdc so you do have to slightly modify a couple of the cables, but not a big job. With reguards to the torque sensor. If you need to rebuild there are two springs for the unit, one is 400n and the other 500n. Unless you are harvesting green crop such as edible beans, some soybeans etc. stick with the 400n spring. There is a new material spring out and it is blue. Should not fatigue and lose tension like older material. Go to the 1400 series parts book and get the torrington bearing to replace the plastic thrust washer in the unit, it will improve response. Jury is still out on the new sheaves with the elipse in them to keep the belts free from dust. Most important of all is to use only lITHIUM base grease here. Absolutely NO MOlY. For ease of service might consider the step on the right side of the machine to access the radiator shute. I also installed the tailings monitor. Makes for another good piece of information to help operate the machine. If you are pushing a 30 ft head or have adapted a 12 row corn head, might think about checking the header drive jackshaft pulley on the right side of the machine. If you still have the stamped pulley might want to consider changing shaft and pulley to the steel.

Farm_Kid

Shellman, Tell me more about the tailings monitor. How does it work and about how much does it costIJ Is it hard to installIJ It would be for a '90 model 1680. Thanks

shellman

If memory serves correct the parts cost about $750.00 US. On these older machines you need to add a lED box. I attached mine to the bottom of the grain scan monitor. You also need to replace the boot on the tailings elevator to allow you to install the pot with wand. This is the same thing that the late 2100 and 2300 machines are using. After that its just a matter of running wires. I think that there may be a kit number for most of this, but don't know. Check with your local CASE-IH dealer or with the productivity flier that is out with all the different options available. Sorry for being late with the reply, but have been away for 2 weeks. Hope this helps.