Combines Straw spreaders

Marci

Hillco, Inc. in Nezperce, Idaho makes mechanical and hydraulic drive spreaders for combines.

John_W

larry, because your 1480 (or any rotary) puts a lot of MOG out over the shoe a chaff spreader is a big help on those machines, especially if the crop is dry and shatters easily like canola. SDman had an eariler post on improving the spreader by speeding up the speaders and using different bats that would be worth looking up or asking him about. REM has a blower type chaff spreader that is simple and works well, and there are several other mechanical and hydraulic spinner types on the market. BTW during a PAMI test of the Redekop chopper_spreader they found that it took 25 hp to run the thing behind a large CIH combine.

Farm_Kid

larry, I believe all of the 80 series machines will accept the new style spinners. If you want to double check yours, the shaft that the spinner mounts to is 7_8" diameter hex bar, 3" long. A hole is cross drilled 1_2" from the bottom end to accept a 3_16" keeper pin. On the newest machines, a 1_4" radius groove is also cut into the shaft to facilitate the quick coupler. It is located 1_2" above the cross drilled hole. The OD of the spinner is 35-1_2", which may be a slight interference on your machine. If so, you might have to figure out a way to adjust things a little. Personally, I've ordered the high speed pulley (1994772C1) and spacer (27828R1)to try first. I'm going to also see if I can make a taller set of bats to replace the belt material. Perhaps PVC pipe cut in half to make a finIJ This will help spread the straw, but will not help the chaff spreading much because the spinners will be too high. Since your machine does not have the long shoe, I think I would look at an aftermarket chaff spreader. Make sure to ask them if your machine has an adequate amount of hyd. capacity to run it.

Farm_Kid

larry, Sounds likes they changed the design significantly between the 1480 and the 1680. I hadn't looked at the older machines that closely. SDman said the standard pulley on the 2388 gives 227 rpm vs. 346 rpm for the smaller one. That sounds consistent with what you are measuring with the tach, so I agree that the 8" would be much too fast. If IH doesn't offer a smaller pulley, you might have to adapt to a round shaft, then you could buy any size you want from someone like Browning.

big_orange

I had use spreaders on both the M's I ran,they did a very good job spreading bean straw,didn't glob it up.Maybe the sensor is out of adjustment on the header control,Sorry I can't tell you more on the adjustment,been a long time since I run the M.

tbran

Make sure the spreaders are oriented correctly. There is a lH and RH side. They should spin so as not to wedge straw in the "V" the rubber attaches to. As to the auto not raising, it is good that it lowers on it's on. It means the latching relay is working. lower the head via auto (obey all safety rules) control. Continue lowering until it stops automatically then continue lowering til head rests on the ground. Take a test light to the switchs, you should have current to the common switch lead then have current back to the header connector harness passing through the raise switch. This should go all the way back to the relay. Ususally we find a broke wire where the harness bends just under the cab or a bad connection on the plug in.

indiana_gleaner

wish our m2 had a spreader the chopper is more mantaince. check to see if all the fingers under the head are free and adjusted correct the see if it makes contact with the micro switchs on the side of the head you may need to adjust the switches but keep the switches as far apart as possible and still work or the head will not settle down in the field it will jack up and down. if all of that is ok take a olm meter to check the switches