Combines Maitenance costs

Todd_in_KS

I don't have exact numbers, but I know our'89 model 1680 wasn't as high as your numbers, until we went in and replace concaves, a couple of augers, and rotor bars. Never was seasonally that high.

SilverTurnedGreen

I think the CaseIH salesman is very close. My uncle has bought IH rotaries since they were first available. He tends to trade at the 2500 to 3000 hour mark, and he always allocates $10 Canadian per hour for maintenance and repairs. He says that he's usually pretty close with those figures, and he has no problem harvesting 6 to 8 acres per hour, so the numbers work out pretty close.

Todd_in_KS

6 to 8 acres per hourIJIJ What machine are you guys running, and in what cropsIJ

SilverTurnedGreen

Hello Todd, Well, I'm not running ANY CaseIH's! I'm a Deere and Gleaner guy. My uncle has traditionally purchased 1480's, 1680's, 1688's, etc. and he pushes 8 narrow rows of 135 bushel corn. 6 to 8 acres an hour is NO problem at all if everything is working right.

Todd_in_KS

Sorry about sounding surprised, we are pushing a 30' head in 40 - 80 bushel wheat, and if my math is right, cutting about 30 acres_hour. I do travel right around 5.5 to 7 mph.

SilverTurnedGreen

That's okay, Todd. In southwestern Ontario, Canada, we're often dealing in higher moisture conditions, plus my uncle's approaching 70 and see's no reason to hurry at harvest time anymore. I'm sure he could put more acres through in an hour, but the drier slows the whole process down. And then there's the mud!!!

adam_l

It is easy to put in the cost of the things that have broken but how do you factor in the stuff that lasts serveral seasons then wears out and lands you with a big billIJ Would you put in say a third replacement costs for a set of rasp bars each year or just wait till they go and then add them inIJ