Combines 1480 power steering

Todd_in_KS

It could very well be your control box or your cylinder leaking by, but check those items that jamer mentioned first. We had this problem with a 1440 also. We were up to two or three revolutions per mile, that is definitely not toe in or anything else.

Farm_Kid

larry, I remember cutting wheat with a Gleaner l3 that had developed a constant steer to one direction. You had to continually correct it. One day I tried to cut a quarter section in half by driving toward a spot on the horizon. When I got to the other end, rather than a straight line, I had a perfect curve. looked like something off a math test! As for the 1480, you'll find that setting the toe in is pretty touchy. Just a little adjustment to the rod will make a big difference. The most accurate way to do it is to jack each wheel up so that they will spin. While spinning, use a nail in a block of wood to mark a line around each tire near it's center. Use the marks to measure the toe in. When it's set correctly, it will make the machine "dart" less on the highway.

shellman

Something else to check is if the steering cylinder is bypassing oil internally, or more likely is either an internal o-ring in the steering hand pump or the tension on the centering springs for the metering section is not equal. If you do attempt to rebuild the hand pump (its tough) the first time you start the machine up and move the steering wheel, keep your fingers etc. out of the spokes. In some instances if the metering section is not indexed correctly when you start to turn the steering wheel is will be driven as a motor and not be used as a pump. Will break you fingers. My .02

southpaw

Sir, when i bought our 1460 I test drove it down the road and I had the same sysmtoms.

beac

We had exactly same unpleasant problem of our 1660. It was play in the ball joints on the bar that connects the two steering arms, Also there was a little play in the ball joint on steering cylinder.

larry

Well I finally got around to checking the steering components on