Combines whitecaps

Jamer

Where do you have your transport vanes setIJ Advanced, retarded, or somewhere in the middleIJ

M__Gorden

Are you using a stripper headerIJ Did your wheat have a dry growing seasonIJ Set all transport vanes in the slowest position (top forward). Run your ground speed fast enough to use all available engine horsepower to keep the rotor full and under maximum pressure. If this does not clean up the white caps, my guess is your concaves are too worn. Try a set of fresh rebuild ones from St. John Welding. In tough conditions it is especially important that the concaves have square edges to provide maximum retardation of the straw so adequate pressure is maintained to rub out the crop. It is good that you have the Gorden Bars and covers installed as this is very helpful in the conditions you are having. Be sure you have the angles provided with the cover plate kit installed. Check for a gap between the flange lip of the concave to front transition wall. Some machines have a wide gap there and leak heads directly to the augers so as to bypass the rub bars and concaves. Check for same on right side. There is a hole nearly large enough to put your fist through on the first concave. It is helpful to cut some inch by inch and one half tabs and weld them in place to seal up these leaks.

Rick

In hard to thrash wheat we do quit a few things to take care of whitecaps with specialty rotors.1. concaves with good edges 2. bars that are not worn to much 3. vanes in mid position 4. pinch point set on 9th or 10th bar on main concave not including extentions 5. use at least 4 gordan bars under 1st concave 6. put 9 rows of filler bars on back side of 1st concave and 5 rows under return 6. shim out bars under cancave as close to perfect as you can it takes some time but is well worth it 7. close concave up 8. run rotor where needed 900-1000 some of this may sound like work but in our hard thrash wheat it is what works for us hope it helps.

mudflats

When you talk about the 9 or 10th bar are you starting with

M__Gorden

More information is needed to help you with the white cap problem. 1. Which and header and width of cut are usingIJ 2. Is this a drought stressed cropIJ 3. What moisture is the grain atIJ 4. Can you e-mail a photo of your grain tank sampleIJ 5. What is the FM percentage at the elevatorIJ 6. What is this crop yieldingIJ 7. What variety is itIJ 8. Is the sample any better at 5 o'clock in the afternoonIJ

Farm_Kid

We just finished with wheat harvest in SC Kansas with a machine similar to Mudflats' and also had to fight whitecaps in the bin. The machine is a 1680 Specialty Rotor with long Shoe and fixed Air Foil chaffer. It has Gorden bars in the front of the rotor and three Gorden cover plates on large Wire Concaves. The machine has the cross-flow fan set at max speed. The header is a 25 ft. 1010 with PU reel. The crop was Jagger HRWW yielding between 40 and 60 bu_acre. Some fields had as much as 30% knocked down by Strawbreaker which left the crop flat on the ground and the straw very tough. We ended up with the rotor speed at max (approx.1030 RPM unloaded, 930 RPM under full load) and the concaves at nearly zero clearance. To keep FM out of the bin, we shut the sieves way down. I would guess less than 1_8". In the middle of the afternoon, when the wheat was dry and thrashing well, we would have trouble plugging the return elevator, limiting the capacity of the machine. When I opened the door on the return elevator, most of the material was clean wheat and chaff. Very little in the way of unthrashed heads unless I opened up the concave clearance. Opening up the sieve just a little bit helped with capacity, but the bin was noticeably more trashy. We binned most of the wheat, but what little went to town measured around 0.4% FM. I should mention the we had 2 slotted grates up front and a Keystock grate in the rear. We mounted all 9 Estes Disruptor lugs on the rear grate, which did a super job of chopping the straw even without any rice spikes! Most of the time the grain behind the machine was nearly zero. I would say about a dozen kernels per square foot behind the chaffer. late at night, when the straw was extremely tough and the heads would not break up, the sample in the tank was cleaner. Then the capacity of the machine was limited by the HP. You could find whole heads behind the machine with nothing missing but the beards and the grain! Now that we can put that much HP into the rotor, are we in danger of damaging somethingIJ This is the first year we've used the Gorden Bars and Cover Plates, which really improved our machines performance in hard threshing wheat. This is the first time we have not been limited strictly by the return elevator. We are pleased with the improvement, but are always looking to do a little better job. Should we go back to the small wire concave in the front for wheatIJ We will be cutting Milo this fall, and didn't really want to have to switch back and forth. Do you think we would get more cleaning capacity with an adjustable Air Foil SieveIJ It seems difficult to make fine adjustments to the factory sieve and to reliably get back to where you started from is a joke. I found the factory sieve to be so touchy to set that I hated to fool with it. The adjuster on the loewen Air Foil sieve seems to be more repeatable and accurate. Would the air foil help keep untheshed peices out of the binIJ Thanks for all the great advice on this site.

Rick

When I am talking the 9th or 10th bar start where they bolt together as number one.

M__Gorden

In wheat, air foil chaffers work the best the for me. They will give you more capacity with less field loss and reduce the chaff and bits of straw in the grain tank. Also, you will be able to run with a wider lower sieve setting. As far as a further reduction in unthreshed, check the rotor belt tension and limit switch settings. You should be able to run 1100 no load and 1055 r.p.m. under load. A tigher belt tension (threaded rod adjuster) will give you less drop from no load to full load.