Combines transmission gearbox

larry

The noise makes it sound like you're beyond my solution and in need of repair. But, on the old 1480s (one of which had the tranny apart 5 times and the gearcase replaced once) the solution ended up being to keep the shift cables and linkage clean at the transmission. If chaff and debris was allowed to build here it acted just like a spring, eventually pushing out of 2nd. We also put 915 detent springs on the 2 shift rail in these transmissions. They were stouter springs. I'm not sure what the 21s use there, but haven't had this problem with either the 16 or 21.

steamboat_will

My 2188 had 800 hours on it and totalaly crapped second gear in it last fall(three days after I got the thing It was a mess but my dealer (the mighty Don Medlin) fixed me up with a new tranny. the guy that changed it said that they had never heard of one going bad. good luck

SDman

Unfortunately, this has been a problem on 2 2188s. The source of the problem for both was the same-improper cable adjustment. Remove the pin connecting the shift cable to the shift rails while it is in 2nd gear and see if you can move the 2nd shift rail some more before it locks into its detent. You will probably be able to move it some more before it locks into the detent. You can also confirm 2nd gear gear mesh by removing the trans. top cover plate(there is enough room on an '88, not sure on a '66). If not caught in time, its about $1000 worth of gears to repair this problem. Good luck!