Combines settings

M__Gorden

More information is needed. Which combine do you haveIJ Which chafferIJ Which rotorIJ Which fanIJ What part of the country are you inIJ Is your wheat a tough to thresh varietyIJ

Ripe

1997 CIH 2166, specialty rotor, cross flow fan, NW Ohio, wheat variety not hard thresh, not sure on the chaffer, combine options were chosen to run corn the most if this gives you an idea of what chaffer might be on it.

M__Gorden

Since your wheat is not hard to thresh, you should not need to use the cover plates. For maximum shoe capacity, consider using a air foil chaffer. The 1 5_8 inch corn chaffer is not well suited for wheat. Because your wheat is not hard to thresh, start with all of your vanes in the mid position. With easy threshing wheat you can run your lower sieve more than 1_4 inch open. Start on the low side with your fan, about 1050 rpm. Set your rotor speed according to the volume of straw you are putting through the machine. 850 rpm minimum up to the maximum of 1050 under load. I rarely encounter easy threshing wheat. I usually end up using the cover plates, Gorden bars, slow vane settings, air foil chaffer, concaves in like new condition and up tight to the rotor (1050 rpm) with plenty of horsepower. With this setup I get the job done well but just barely.

Ripe

Thanks for the input! I probably should not have said my wheat is easy to thresh. It's just the last three years I ahve had no trouble running wheat with my small wire concaves. I bought the cover plates so that I wouldn't have to mess with changing concaves between crops. I only have 160 acres of wheat and I am most interested in chaffer and shoe settings. Since I don't have a lot of wheat I'm not going to spend money on the air foil chaffer. So how do I set the screens that I do haveIJ One year I ran the chaffer 1_2" and the shoe 3_8" and it worked just fine in 65 to 70 bushel wheat. I have not run any wheat yet this year but it looks like it will be 80 to 90 bushel wheat and heavy straw. Thank You.

M__Gorden

The cover plates will work well with your large wire concaves for wheat. If you are referring to the corn chaffer, I have no magic setting recomendation for you. The corn chaffer, when closed down, is already to wide for wheat, in my opinion. Also, it can let upended straw to pass through and does not funnel the air the best. I understand you have made it work ok for you in the past. Also, I understand why you would not want to invest in another chaffer for the amount of wheat you will be harvesting. I suggest that you keep that setting you have been using, even in the higher yielding wheat this year, because you have already achieved a better setting than I have. All of this depends on the ground speed and header width. With a 30 foot header, in 80 to 90 bushel wheat, I would expect a ground speed of over 3 mph. At that speed, with a deep tooth chaffer, I either had chaffer losses, with the chaffer at 1_2 inch, or too much straw and chaff with a setting very much wider.