Combines reel stopping

Jamer

The code that is flashing is your key to fixing the problem. When the reel stops, is that when you get the code or only when the header quits respondingIJ The header raise and lower problem may or may not be related. You are going to have to see which code it is, and look it up in the table provided in your owner's manual. It will give you a general idea of where to look. You may have an intermittent open in the reel drive electrical circuit. It might be a good idea to give the dealer a call unless you are equipped to handle electrical probs.

SDkid

If you talk to your dealer, he should have a bulletin on the reel drive control valve. It tells you to install a shim in one of the valves on the reel drive control valve. I have seen this before on some combines and it does help.

Jamer

SD kid is right on the shims for the reel control valve, but my understanding is that is a fix for a low-speed reel surge, not so much a reel that just plain quits. This problem surfaced with the '98 model combines and I heard of a few '99's acting up too. The reel drive valve was "improved" sometime during the '99 model year to correct the surge. Since the automatic reel to ground speed function is controlled by the header controller and since you are experiencing a header problem, it is possible you may have a faulty header controller. But I would start with the easy things first and go from there.

canuck

I had a 1660 with a reel problem similar to yours.Found a loose ground on top of the feeder house coming from the control valve.Not sure if the newer series are wired the same but probably worth a quick once-over.