Combines Who makes the best Combine TrailerIJ

Combineman

After the wheat run this year, put an add in the High Planes Journal out of Dodge City, Ks. You'll have to call information to get the phone number. Say you are looking for a couple of good used 40,000n Janz 'drive on' combine tailers. I'm sure you'll find somebody who wants to sell out or is forced to. New trailers will cost a big chunk of change so don't go there. For lifting headers into the back of your grain trucks, (if thats the way your going to do it.),takes some skill and lots of courage. We had a improperly hooked JD header fall 6 feet to the ground once. I pretty much cured me from hauling my headers in the bed of a grain truck.

Unit5

Hello Combineman, I was wondering if anybody would respond. I'm really glad that you are sharing your hard earned experience. I've book marked the High Plains Journal and I will place an add. I like the Janz trailer but I want to hear all opinions. This is what I've got worked out so far. One Janz trailer with mounts for 2 heads on the 5th wheel. I would just set up to haul one combine. I would take the JandM head trailer a part and put it on the janz trailer also. I really don't look forward to using a cherry picker to load the heads, so I'll pull the single JandM trailer behind the pick-up except for the long hauls. The JandM trailer has small tires and I just don't want to pull the thing from Iowa at 35mph. So I'll pull Janz trailer with platform and combine down to SW Kansas with the Semi. I get a load back to Omaha or KC or deadhead back to NW Iowa. I get a load of corn or soybeans in the wilson hopper bottom and haul it to Kansas. I'll have my partner drive the chevy pick-up to Kansas when the wheat is ready. In the pick-up I'll have just the basics to service the machine. Bring the 1688 down is the challenge. Maybe I could get a short combine trailer and a "baby" hopper bottom. I don't know how to do this yet. This is kind of an academic exercise. On the wheat run I think I saw about kind of way to haul equipment. I'm just trying to avoid the pitfalls. Thanks for the lead on the insurance. I haven't talked to our agent yet. I know this year has been really hard on the cutters. We are farmers so we have the equipment. I can't see how anybody just starts from scratch. We are just trying use the combine to make some combine payment money. I think if we hit is really hard for a month this could work. It hinges on keeping the expenses minimal and keeping busy. No big surprise, that's what everybody does.

Combineman

I think it is an excellent way to help pay machinery payments. If you do decide to haul both combines to Kansas, I'd just make another run with one truck. At one time, we owned_or rented up to 8 combines. We hired trucks to haul the grain away. One year I spent most of my time just shuttling combines around. We had combines scattered in three states. We had some 'A frame" combine trailers (the kind you tow the macine backwards.) and they worked good but it took two people to load them up. With 'drive on's', one driver can run back to the last job, and pick up another machine. Your drive on semi trailer where you can haul the header on the front platform is a good idea. My old neighbor in Nebr. "Scott Payne' runs 10 Deeres. This is the way he does it behind his semi's. Good luck. CM

Unit5

Hello Combineman!! Wow, 8 combines!!! That's a lot of grease and fuel. I like the drive-on trailers because I don't have to put a PTO on the truck. I want to keep this as simple as possible. Will I go broke paying for the motel rooms for my crewIJ I kinda hate to buy a trailer,but it gets to be a lot of miles of driving out west. I saw the 2000 Mile Harvest movie. I posted on the JD side about the film and was contacted by the man who made the film. We even passed though Imperial, NE, I drove right by the Payne's homestead. We stopped at the coffee shop and the locals seemed to like Mr. Payne a lot. He seems to have a total focus on the harvest. I wished I would have stopped a met the guy, the crew was working in the area. I wonder how a boss coordinates all the men and machinesIJ Unit 5