Combines oil leak with cummins engine on 1680

SDman

Moejo, when you say it is BEHIND the injection pump, I presume you are talking about it leaking between the front of the engine block and the back of the cam gear housing(the piece that the injection pump mounts to). Unfortunately, it was a common problem on this vintage of 8.3 liter engine. It was caused by 2 problems: 1)The gasket used then was a paper gasket and there is a hole in it that transfers oil under pressure from the block to the gear housing which has a passage that sends oil to the injection pump. The paper gasket was too thin and would crack apart around that hole. This was solved by using a steel gasket, and 2)In addition, the front housing bolts that hold the housing to the front of the block were too small and undertorqued, there were new bolts released that had bigger heads and could be torqued to higher levels. These steps virtually eliminated this problem. I would recommend fixing it at the first possible chance. As far as to do the job, the easiest way would be to remove the engine and work on it that way. You could do it in the combine, but you would be in close quarters and you will find you would have to remove the radiator anyway to do a good job. The engine in those combines is not too hard to remove, really. Good luck and hope this helps.

statboy44

my friend larry,has this same problem with his John Deere 9500. He made many trips to the dealer, but even they didnt know what to do. Pretty sad on thier part.