Combines 36 headers

Roster

We run a 30' 960 MacDon on our 2188- but a lot of guys run 36' on their red and green combines around here. The main reason we didn't buy a 36' was road transport- we do quite a bit of custom work and didn't want to drop the head off two to three times a day to move. We bought our 30' used- but similar 36' were the same price or even cheaper due to less demand. Everybody told us the draper would give you about 1 mph more cutting speed over a conventional head. Our experience is similar, maybe even a little bit more (3.5 to 4.0 now around 5 mph). That would be the only reason to go to a 36', slow down to 3.5 again. Main other problem with drapers in general, and with the 36' in particular is weight; it's very heavy so you have to be more careful. To us, the 36' just wasn't worth the extra hassles. As far as brands, I would seriously look at the Honeybee first- their adapter feed drum seems to work better the MacDon design. Only reason we didn't buy one was parts availability- nearest dealer to us at that time was 100 miles away. MacDon had three dealers within 20 miles. But, I think you can get HB parts through New Holland now. HB has a factory deal with New Holland, and MacDon has one with Case-IH. It will be interesting to see which one they maintain after the NH-CIH combine plant consolidation.

soss

If you are going to be cutting very short crops, stick with the front you already have. Still trying to sell my 36' 1042 as it has been parked all summer while my 1010 has been going nonstop in mungbeans. any short and_or light spindly crops it just bulldozers a strip about 4 feet wide in the centre. Centre feed roller starts too far back from the knife and everything builds up there.

JOHN

Do you know if you have to ballast back of 1688 to keep it on the ground.looking at a used honey bee 1997 model. will be using in some hills

JFarms

soss how much are you asking for your 1042 and where are you located. We currently are running two 1042 36' and a 972 36' and may be interested in yours. Email me or give another post.

Peanut

John, We ran a 30' MacDon on a 97 2188. It was the biggest piece of junk! There were many problems. the hydraulic resivor leaked the day it was delievered, the reel was out of balance. It was very heavy had to add calcium AND the weight packs, We farm with deep furrow and the "built in" headercart would never hold up. The largest problem was the grain loss it either dribbled off the front or would fallow the draper under. I suggest you try this.... stop your combine, lift the header all the way up crawl underneath and count the grain loss. We had 50+ kernals and 3-4 whole heads of wheat per square foot. We got a 30' 1010 header and have not had a problem one. so be aware.... good luck!

mike

Hi, Iam a Case IH mechanic. We are mounting more and more Honey Bee headers on our machines. From what I have seen they are twice the header than Mac Don, as Peanuts said Mac Dons do tend to fall apart. As far as lifting and weights, I would advise to at least have three header lift cylindars. Also make sure your hydraulic psi is up to specs. Honey Bee does make a cylindar that has more oil capacity that we use. We also chloride the rear tires or mount 1400 pounds of suit case tractor weights on the rear axle for the Honey Bees. They are heavier than all the rest. Good luck.

Roster

Sorry John for the late reply, been out of town for a few days. No one around here has ballasted their combines, but land is pretty flat around here. Main trouble most have with the weight of the head is entering or exiting fields. We haven't had any problems with the 30'. One neighbor has been thinking about ballast but that is more due to the weight of his all-crop head. That weighs more than his MacDon. I'd try it without ballast first- Also, you may need to look at adding the third lift cylinder- the 1600's don't lift as well as the 2100's.