Combines calibration problems

Jamer

Well, if it makes you feel any better, even the new 2388's don't agree in regards to the concave settings. It always seems if the indicator on the side of the machine is always a half number or so more open than the instrumentation. As far as your header calibration, I'm wondering if you have a problem with your feeder position potentiometer on the feeder house. It is located on the left rear of the feeder house and has a rod with two ball joints attached to it. Sometimes the lever coming out of the housing starts to sieze up in the black housing. Unhook the rod from the lever and see if the lever moves freely throughout the entire range. Is your instrumentation showing you any diagnostic codesIJ Are there any codes stored in the memoryIJ

Ranger

Hi Jamer. I've checked my potentiometer before and its allright.

Jamer

Since you know how to calibrate your controller and are familiar with it, take it a step further and check for diagnostic codes that may be stored in the controller. Here's how. Get to the calibration procedure like you normally would. But when you see "CAl" in the instrumentation, press the "lower" part of the header lift switch instead of the "raise". Then you should see "DIAG" come up in the window. Push "raise" and next you will be viewing the most recent code stored in the controller. You can view these previous codes and write them down and then go to your op manual and see what they mean. It may lead you to the circuit in the system that is causing the problem. You can erase these codes out if you like as you go (I would) and then see if they reappear at a later date. You can exit the DIAG procedure at any time by cycling the reel rocker switch or cycling the key. You can't screw any thing up or erase any thing important so don't worry about that. Good luck.

Ranger

Thanks for the info Jamer. I'm gonna give it a shot. I had something odd happen when I fired up the combine. When I was lowering my header to start combining I would get the header close to the ground then it would start creeping down quite violently. Almost ruined my reel over it. anyway I recalibrated and it never did it again. But once in awhile the word Arro shows up. looked in the diagnostic codes but there was nothing about the word. But thanks again I'm gonna try what you told me.

shellman

Here are a couple of observations concerning your problem.1) You shouldn't have to recalibrate everytime you change heads. You may have to reset the header height display by lowering to the header to the ground and holding the header switch in the stalk down for at least 2 seconds. This merely resets the voltage value from the feeder position sensor to correlate to a 2. 2)_When you reclabrate are you doing so over a ditch with the header on so the cylinders will collapse fully. The book says to do so without the header, but have found that this does not take into account the header weight and if not over a ditch you cannot cut below grade when going over a terrace or something similar. 3) Still could suspect the header height pot. Just because it will ohm out with a DVOM or the voltages are within range doesn't mean there is not a glitch in the carbon disc_wiper. Try to find a graphing voltmeter and look at the output voltage on the graph. I have and it might suprise you. 4) One other thing I have seen with MX Magnum and keeping controllers up is bad grounds. This will cause the alternator to bleed out AC voltage (AC Ripple Test) and this causes controllers to choke and @n*and. My e-mail should be attached if you need any other inrormation. PS Don't worry about the concave scale and side sheet scale matching. The only time I have ever seen it happen is if you zero the concaves, reset the concave display and reset the mechanical scale all to 0. From then on it's all relative. 2 is tighter than 3.