Combines Best straw chopper

Farm_Kid

Kurt, This has been discussed a number of times. You'll find messages in the following timeframes: 6_00, 4_00, 12_99, 9_99, and probably others too. Bottom line: straw choppers are expensive to retrofit. I would try the Estes Disruptor lugs first. If you have the keystock grates they will bolt right on. I found they did an excellent job in wheat straw this year. Use these with the high-speed straw spreader pulley (see SDman's post on March 17, 1999) and I think you'll get a lot more bang for the buck than with a chopper!

salesman

redecrop makes a good looking chopper, although it is kind of expensive approx. $6000. GandD Combine sells them, I have their phone n at my office if you want to talk to them.

Two_Pack

I have the Estes mfg. disrupters installed on a 1460. I ran them for soybeans and corn last fall and for spring wheat this harvest. There is almost no unbroken straw. Remember to also install the scallop bars on the rotor at the same time. The scallop bars on the rotor catch the straw and drag it over the disrupter lugs and together they break up the straw. Cost $369 for the disrupters I think it was 169 for the scallop bars also available from Estes mfg. I have one keystock and two slotted grates.So far I no longer need to use the factory channel bars on the grate at all, No more pulling the grates to switch crops. I also don't change concaves to switch crops since installing the Gorden covers.I also installed a kit to drop the left straw spinner and add a curved metal paddle in place of every other rubber strip. It spreads chaff and chopped straw easily to 25 feet. Cost $180.You'll also have to go to a 10" pulley to speed up the spinners and a shorter belt. Cost $50. You don't need a $6000 retrofit.