Combines chopping straw

Kurt

Does anyone else have any experence with the "disruptor"IJIJ How would you compare the way they chop soybean straw vs. a chopperIJIJ I'd really appricate anyone input on this as we are thinking about adding a chopper but hate to spend the $4500 for it. If any one has used these "disruptor" can you, or have you no-till back into the stubble. Currently we can't behind our 2188 because of the windrow effect.

Farm_Kid

Kurt, We had a similar problem with heavy winter wheat straw last year. The specialty rotor left the straw unchopped and the straw spreaders piled it in the center of the machine. Even with only a 25' header you couldn't no-till through the mess. We cut with 30' JD 9610's with choppers which did a much better job. I have not been around the IH chopper, but I doubt it works any better than the JD. This year we ran the 9 Disruptor lugs all mounted in the rear grate and installed the high speed pulley on the spreaders. What a difference! It worked great! The straw was chopped up more than with the JD chopper and was spread the full 25'. I would rather no-till behind the disruptor than the JD chopper, but either one would be acceptable. We didn't even put in the rice spike bars which would make the Disruptor even more agressive on your bean stems. I've seen a lot of people write that they are happy with the disruptor but haven't seen anyone that was unhappy. Better give Marvin a call and get 'em ordered!

combineman

Mr. Gorden, Do you have to use the rice spike bars with these disrupter lugsIJ And if so whyIJDoes it hurt the quality of the grain sample by being to aggresive in dry conditionsIJWe just combine soybeans and corn.

Farm_Kid

Combineman, Do you ever have "rotor rumble" in beansIJ If so, you'll probably want to install the Disruptor bars according to the Estes recommendations. If you only want to chop up material you can put them in the last grate and not really effect the aggressiveness of the rotor much because most of the grain doesn't get back there anyway. The rice spike bars give the lugs something to "cut" against which will increase the chopping action. You can start with the Disrutor lugs and fine tune the performance by adding rice spikes gradually. That was my plan, but got plenty of chopping action without the spikes.

combineman

The only time we really get rotor rumble is when we get a dew on,because most of the time we get a frost before we get real heavy into beans.Its just those first few fields that are tough.Thats when we need the stems chewed up and the spreaders to actually spread,otherwise everything is fine.

DK_in_MN

agflyboy, I have customers with disrupters in their combines work ok. But I sold some grates with sections last fall and all were very satisfied. Had problem with one customer, spent some time with him, found sections installed wrong. Changed position(more or less turned around, flat part of section has to be against the metal support)installed grate in center position, went and combined, went thru wet spot where only weeds grew and it just shreded straw stems were torn pretty good allowing for fall tillage and decompositon. Make sure vanes above grates are in good condition so as not to slow crop flow.