Combines dropping straw 1688

Jack

John, I would suggest to combine barley as soon as possible after you swath it because barley straw will get chewed up good if you let it dry out too much. If your swaths are large it will give you longer straw. Set your vains in the fast position (to front) to move out the straw fast. Concave could be set at about 2-3 on gauge. Use slotted grates if you have them. Rotor speed about 750-800 rpm. Any other IJ just ask. Jack

Jack

loren, good to hear from you again; been a long time since I seen your response. Have a good harvest. Jack in MN

Shane

We usually take off the spreaders, drop the plate underneath the chopper, take out the cutter and put the chopper to slow speed.

loren_SE_IA

Jack, can't believe anyone noticed!! Yeah, I've been busy with so many diff. irons in the fire. Got kinda involved in other forums, too.

Jack

loren, We have just received our first good rain fall in August tonite of .75" We are short of rain here only 1.7" in June but July was good to us with 6.4" Sure can hear you with trying to purchase_rent land, around here the big dairy farms seem to have some edge with renting. I purchased a 1020 header this winter on a repo and will put it on my 1460; I have to make a small modi for the reel lift and do a small change over to the "cable system" on the header. RR soybeans look good here and will hope for a good harvest. Take care. Jack.

cutter2388

We harvest several thousand acres of barley every year and a majority of it is bailed. If you drop out your chopper concave and put your belt in slow mode. I even drop down my discharge shute to the corn position. If the barley is fairly dry you can slow down your rotor speed quite a bit and even open up the concave a bit so it isn't so aggressive on the staw. Well good luck with the barley harvest....