Combines For 2388 singles or dualsIJ

Jamer

The 20.8-42 duals on the 2388's seem to be a popular tire choice in my area. They go right down the middle of the rows in 30" corn. The 30.5-32's get to looking pretty tough after about 4 seasons worth of bt corn stalk damage. The duals take a little getting used to as far as turning with a 1083, a full rack of steering weights and fluid in the steering tires seem to be the norm. If you're runnig a mud hog, the weights and fluid may not be neccessary though. Can't say for sure as not many run a mud hog around here.

johnny

If you run with aftermarket grain tank extensions or a 30' header, run with duals.

Farm_Kid

Roo, You didn't mention what your crops or conditions are. If you are fighting mud or concerned about compaction take a look at posts "Best Mud Setup" in Jan 2000 and "Tires for Mud" in Nov 1999. If you haul your machine on a trailer the dual width may be an issue. I've yet to see a custom harvester with duals. What head are you runningIJ What is your soil typeIJ

larry

We've always run 30.5l - 32s. Corn stalks in 30" rows do chew on them, but there is a stubble knocker attachment available for the corn heads that's supposed to help this problem.

Roo

Good questions...I'll be using a 30 foot platform for wheat and soybeans and an 8 row narrow head for 30" corn. Compaction in general and on wet soil in particular is always a concern. My soil is a fine loam. I just try to stay off the ground when it's too wet.

Farm_Kid

Roo, Since you have fine loam soil I doubt you'll have the mud sticking problems that guys have in clay type soils. That, plus the fact that you'll be in row crop, gives the edge to the straddle duals in my opinion. The 2388 has the stronger 13 bolt final drives which should stand up well to duals, but I would use the Wold type wheels where the outer rim bolts directly to the inner rim. Wold can make you a set of 710_70R38 duals that will put a lot of rubber on the ground to minimize compaction. If you know your maximum front axle load (full of grain with the row head on) you can determine the lowest rated air pressure for each tire size. The lower the pressure, the better, and make sure you go with a radial. Then, all you need is a bunch of money!

tiger

I've got the answer to Farm Kids question duals are probaly going to be the best answer for your question I agree about what Roo said about the loam soils and the clay soils true but you never know you might start custom harvesting and you could be working in any soils so duals woulld probaly be the best answer they will pull better in mud just like on a tractor and are probaly better on hillsides but I really depends on what you want true or not true.