Combines Mud

mo_farm

Several years ago we had a neighbor who ran tracks on his green combines. They went good in the mud but he could not go to fast. I know they were the old style tracks like they ran years ago. Haven't heard how those newer tracks work hopefully I won't ever need to find out.

duke

Red, I was just wondering where you are finding that kind of mud. We are so dry here in the central U.S. that we are wondering if we will be able to plant any wheat. It is no fun plowing mud but at least the county would look better than the brown winter like look we have.

red

We are in central ND near Devils lake. An area near our land got another 5-7 inches this afternoon. Supposed to rain almost every day this week too.

JFarms

Red, we are up by Roseau harvesting and a couple of the guys we work for went to town and bought us a set of used GripTracs. We run all Mud Hogs and put the tracks on one of these machines. Yesterday was the first day running them on the 2388 and it went pretty good. Its alot slower going but at least you are going. Don't think you can't get stuck though, this morning the guys get to dig it out even with tracks and Mud hog.

red

Thanks for all the help. I just talked with Mr. Riplo at GripTrac and he is making rubber tracks, but is sold out through October. Hopefully we can find a used set of steel tracks as rubber won't work on a 1460 due to light final drives. Thanks.

mickyd

on 2000 we had bad mud and since had rwa on the m2 we added goodyear flotation tires and did real well. had a buddy put rice tires on his r52, i dont think it did him much good until it dried up i would not waste the money on rice and go for the flotation type tires. i still have the 67 34 30 terra tires and would sell them, but i dont think they would work on the r62.

800_RMK

Two years ago we put Firestone spade grips on, and they took the combine wherever you wanted it to go. sometimes the frame would drag in mud. But, it takes lots of power and fuel.

MinnR62

Had the same situation last year, in our area. Guys that had done deep tillage had big ruts. A friend of mine bought tracks for his R62, but they are big $$$ and his combine now tops out at 9 mph on the road. But the tracks definatly helped him.

Gpurrs

If you have heavy final drives and 8row head you might check into adding duals to what you have.Several in our area with this setup.

the_odd_machine

We do have the heavy final drives run a 8 row head and 25 header.We decided today after fighting the mud to put rice and cane tires on it. Dealer coming in morning put 30.5 32 drives with 18.4 26 rears.They told us they would go but leave big ruts.Hope this works still have over 600 acres left yet.Tracks wasnt for us we travel 30 miles on the road.We had terra tires before and they are fine till they load up and then wont climb over the wall of mud.