Combines How to boost up fuel pump setting on 1460

Roscoe

It's a simple adjustment on the tourqe capsule adjustment screw located under the top cover of the fuel pump. Just remove cover and it's right on top. loosen lock nut and turn the screw counterclockwise, As a rule you will gain 15-20 hp per round of adjustment. It is possible that you could have a mechanical problem,Intravance cam bushing spun in main pump housing that controls timing advance. If this is the case it could cause a scored piston as exhaust temp. gets to high. Thus turning up the pump would only agrevate the problem. Could be pump rebuild or replacement time if tourqe screw adjustment makes little difference.

Set

Roscoe Will this work with a 1420IJ It`s under powered or where the early machines like thatIJ

andrew

Thank you for the information, now I am worried about the cam potential wear ! But I will take the top off and have a look. The engine...it is like it is being starved, the difference is between 1-2 mph, the one runs at 4 mph and the other 3 mph..

roscoe

Seton, A 1420 has a 358ci non turbo engine. Generally, you will gain very little by turning up a nonturbo engine, maybe 5-10 hp. You will also get more smoke and use more fuel. probably not very cost effective. A 358 also uses a differant fuel pump, so it takes a differant procedure to turn up the fuel setting. One thing both you and Andrew could check that I've seen a couple of times is the fuel shutoff valve at the bottem of the fuel tank. If you remove the valve from the tank there is a screen on the elbow that likes to plug up and it can really limit hp-something thats easy to check. Good luck!

aar

Roscoe, Sounds like your somewhat of a diesel doctor! I have a 1978 715 with the 310 german that is somewhat tough to start after sitting overnight and is also hestitant when you move the throttle to high idle whith the separator engaged. The only thing I could come up with is that the fuel pump plate has a constant drip which I thought may drain fuel back from the injection pumpIJ And as far as being hesitant it runs very well under full load in the field but seem to cough and spit a little white smoke when idling up.

andrew

Just to let you know that it worked ! Very simple to do, 1 turn and it now matches the output of the other 1460, maybe more power than that now. Managed to combine a field of green strawed wheat at 3mph with the dew, at night. Good job as it rained ever since and by tommorow it will be 4 feet under water. Radiator needs checking now as can get a bit hot !