Combines Automatic Header

crg

You might not have your hight control pot turned enough to the left "counter clockwise"

Farmer_Ed

I turn the knob all the way, but maybe it is in the switch itself your suggestingIJ

glk

When my header did the same thing it was in the wiring sometimes at the connector sometimes in the wire from connector to combine.

buck

On later 1660 combines there is a connector behind right hand cab acess panel.If you follow the wires they return to the auto header module.Now take the connector apart and you can connect a auto header pot into it and eliminate the wiring from there on down to the header.Start combine ,engage separator and feeder ,turn on auto header and have a helper turn knob on pot to activate header movement.If it works properly it is wiring to header.

crg

Could be in switch. Electric problems in header control are hard to locate. I know I had a break in wire runing to header along throat. that was inside insulation. Header would work when about 10 inches off of ground but would pull wire apart when lowered fully. Finaly traced it down useing vom from conection under cab to header switch and probing along wire till I got conection.

daryl

the problem could be in your pot adjustment. put your height control knob in center position and your sensitivity knob in center position then hit your down switch on hydro lever to activate your header control then go out on your header and adjust your pot to drop header clear to ground like it is dead then adjust pot to raise header up to cutting height. this will give you same amount of drop as of raise in auto control.

Tank

Try hooking it all up and then turn the key off for a few seconds then back on. If this doesn't work you might try recalibrating the header controller the procedure is in the manual. A tip for that is to drive over the edge of a road or ditch because you have to be able to completely colapse the lift cylinders which put the header about a foot lower than wheels. Hope this helps and happy harvesting.

Jamer

Try this. After hooking up the header and pot, turn your selector switch to "HT", cycle the key off and then back on. Give the instrumentation a second or two to reset. Then, lower the header to the ground AND STAY ON THE BUTTON, 'til the numbers in the little height display window reset to 2 or 4 (I can't remember which). Then raise the header all the way up. If it is working properly, the header will pause on it's way up to recognize the pot position. This is normal. While it pauses, stay on the raise button and it will continue up to the top. Now, if it paused on the way up, it will probably work. If, when it paused, an amber light came on in the a-post and started flashing, that indicates a diagnostic code and you will have to fix the problem before it will work.

Zig

I have not had time to try either of your guys suggestions, will try tommorrow. Tank, I can not lower my feeder table that low. I have a hard time hooking up to either head. Have 30.5 tires and don't know if that makes it to high, or just that the rams don't retrack far enough.

Rob

Zig, I hope you get our header controller to work today. When said you have a hard time hooking up our heads that is almost a sure sign you are going to have take time to recalibrate the header controller. Just follow the manual.