Combines Overheating

Rava

Yeah,put a new Deutz engine on it.They are most impressive!!!

Tom

If you are sure the radiator is clean, why dont you consider an overflow tank like cars haveIJ I didnt have an overheating problem on my l2 but I got tired of adding fluid every day. As I recall, the radiator was always down about a gallon, which dramatically reduces cooling in a cross-flow radiator.

Scott

I am not sure what the D3500 is but you may need to check the timing or a possible head gasket, or the air filter as the problem. As discussed earlier the thermostat may be stuck or if it doesn't have a thermostat then it will need one. By free flowing the water without a thermostat than the water doesn't have time to cool in the radiator. Either use a thermostat or a washer with a hole the same size as the hole in the thrermostat. hope this works scott.

Dan

lots of good suggestions here. You may still have a plugged radiator and I would suggest pressure washing until perfectly clean water flows both ways. Set anti-freeze to -10F for best heat transfer. Install a hose between allen head plug and top of thermostat housing to eliminate air pocket in rear of head thus boiling water. Use a barbed fitting like 9600 tractors with detroit motor uses for it is restricted. Also be sure that vibration damper hasn't turned because then timing marks will be wrong.

OKFarmer

Fuel pump issues can make them heat. Timing off can make them heat, but that is pretty unlikely on that many machines. I know you said you blew out radiators daily, but have you ever done a thorough washingIJ I have blown them out before then washed them and it was amazing how much more stuff washed out. Also wash once and wait and hour and wash again. That stuff takes a while to soak up and loosen up. Best thing to do is take the radiator off and have a shop do it inside and out, but that is a lot of work. By the years I assume these are all Cummins. Make sure fan belts are tight, and the blades are not all worn down. Were you running in lots of mudIJ That will make any machine heat up! My $0.02, OKFamer

Burbert

Check your coolant mixture as well. It may have deteriorated 50_50 mix of water and antifreeze, or 40_60 will work the best. Too strong a mix of antifreeze can cause weird problems too!

NDDan

If you have soaked and rinsed until perfectly clean, set freeze portection to -10F, and changed coolant filters regularly then check into this: Combine engine service bulletin n0037A. Your R62s between S_N 66001 and 68295 could benifit from this cooling system enhancement kit. Kit is likely now only available threw individial parts. Bulletin will explain kit and have you check some adjustments. If your '98 is newer than 68295 it will have taller radiator where you should check to see if bulletin combine engine n0039 was performed. That bulletin may also involve your '99 if prior to 69057. It has to do with deaeration line orfice in hose to top of radiator. Also on the machines with tall radiator I was once told to cover top and bottom 3" of oil cooler to prevent hot air from recirculating and causes more air flow threw radiator. You might also want to hang rubber apron down from bottom of radiator to reduce amount of hot engine compartment air from recirculating back around threw rotary screen. last but not least check combine engine bulletin n0040 for it has rotary screen performance package that is good for all your machines. I would suggest getting at least one of these kits so you can see what they are doing. You may improvise on others. In '01 they went with wider sawtooth blades on rotary screen which could be put on your older machines but clearance of blade to sidewall still needs to be as close as possible without rubbing to keep chaff from sneaking in. You check out these things and do as much hyperizing as you can to reduce load and you should be good to go. Good luck

JacobB

Ok, thanks guys. Will be prepared for next year. Demo'd a 65 this year for a few hours, it stayed reasonably cool while the others were heating up. I would say that we babied it pretty much, tried to keep it out of the mud, and getting used to the new controls, does that QSC motor stay cooler, or did they put in a bigger radiator, or do the 65's and later 62's run just as hot after a long dayIJ