Combines Getting Started

T

You want an old Gleaner. I used a F2 with 13 foot header. I could run 75-100 acres a day . You can run at 8-10 MPH. Cut the air off. Block the fan, you don't want much air, it will blow out your seed. I loved my Gleaner I had air conditioning, a diesel engine and hydro Trans.DON'T TRY A JOHN DEERE they will plug up on the augers that run through the unit. I learned the hard wayYou can run anything with a old GleanerHave Fun,Tony

chevytruck_fan

Thats what I need, honest input ! I have done some research on those financial calculator things and doing some research on what land costs in the areas I'm interested in farming_living and I should be able to afford to get the farm, but I will have to make money on the farm. The USFS starts you out at GS-13 when your a pilot, which is 61,000 or so to start with close to 70,000 at the 5 year mark. Also, do you happen to know anything about the Government Garunteed loans for young farmers trying to start, I have heard about these but don't know anything about them. Well thanks again for your reply, yes it looks like it won't be easy or cheap but it is my dream and life is to short not to follow your dreams.

duke

The gov. has some programs for young farmers that you might find interesting. The guarented loan is just the FHA(farmers home administration)insuring a bank on your loan. If you default the fha picks up 90% of it. They have a program and I think it is called beginning farmer where they make a direct loan to you. I think they have real good interest rates. I know they have a lot of hoops to jump through such as you can't own land equal to 20% of the aveage size of farm in your countyIJIJ I would say it would definetly be worth your time to check into this program. I do not think they have a loan limit but I do think you have to have a set % to put down on your purchase. You can find out at your local FSA office...just ask for the fha loan officer. Hope this helps...have fun flying.

Dakota

Several States have a program what is called "Passing on the farm". They collect addresses from farmers who want to retire and have nobody to take over the farm and young people who want to get into farming and try to match them. They also know about financial programs. If you're interested, I try to dig out some phone numbers and addresses.

IlOVEGREEN

save yourself the trouble and dont do it. we r only getting a doller for a bushel of durum

geoff

I couldn't help having a go at you blokes. With all your government subsidies I thought farming would be a breeze. Sounds like you should move to Australia where you have a level playing field and you get to print money on the farm. Don't get too upset, just stirring.

VAfarmboy

If you want a farm, buy it and rent it out. I would not try to get into farming with the current AG situation. With the current commodity prices a part time farm is nothing but a bottomless money pit that will take up all of your spare time and money. I farm several hundred acres that is in the family, and rent several hundred more just to make ie worth my while, and I can't make a living at it. All of the equipment that I own is almost as old as I am, and I can't afford to replace it because I am not making any money. When my equipment gets so worn out that I can't keep it running, I am going to get out of farming, unless things get better.