Combines fuel consumption

george

I have a97 R42 with a15` head it uses about 2 gal._acre in 100 bushel wheat. I would think a R62 would use more than a gal._acre.

Jim

Aussie and George: That would be 10 US gal_hour for the R-62 which is consistent with figures I have on other 94 machines. It seems the later processors take less power. Since I started asking I have been told of a 1994 R-72 with the l-10 Cummins and a 30 ft. model 500 that runs on .5 gal per acre in 75 - 80 bushel wheat. He was averaging 18 acres per hour. Another operator checked his 1988 R-50 with the 192 HP Deutz on a 20' model 500 head and it ran at .75 gal. to the acre. One factor to consider is the Canadian gallon which is 6_5 of the US gallon.

Jim

George: Is that Canadian or US gallonsIJ Which model head are you usingIJ How fast can you travel and how much straw do you have in terms of 40 lb. bales per acreIJ

George

I used US gallons on a 15 ft flex head. We got about 72 45n bales to the acre. I traveled 4 mph. We live in NW Ohio. Also, this was the best wheat crop ever, this year. The 2 gal per acre is not exact, just an estimate.

tank

We run a '96 CaseIH 2144. Harvesting wheatit runs between 5-6 US gal._hr. Depending onconditions and type of wheat we do 6to8 ac_hwith a 20' header.Here in Ontario the highhumity makes wheat tough to handle at times.

alixgator

If you want to improve this even more, try a high performance fuel conditioner like SFR 2000. I can tell you where to get it if you don't know of a dealer in your area.

Brian

I have no experience with the Cummins but, I do know that our Duetz powered R-72 takes about 7.75 gallons_hr. I feel that is pretty good considering one can travel 5+ mph (Could go much faster if sickel could keep up) with a 30' flex head in soybeans. At 5 mph that is about 18 acres_hour. Which results in .43 gallons_acre to harvest (unloading time and fuel not included). In short, it takes us between .8-1 gallon_acre to harvest corn. I've heard that the fuel economy of the Cummins isn't even close to that of the Duetz however, the emmissons restrictions seemed to be have limited the fuel efficency of the Cummins. When the Duetz's where used the restrictions were not as "strict".

NHD

The New Holland Genesis engine is the most effecient hands down.

deereslayer

claas no longer uses mercedes engines in their combines. they use exclusively cat engines now, some may be made be perkins, but they are all under the cat umbrella. the fuel consumption on the 3126 in the 450-460-470 use about 10 to 13 gal per hour. the 480 runs the 3196 at about 15 to 18 gal per hour. also remeber that you will be doing more in that one hour time frame than you would be with another combine.