Combines Reverse Bars

Tom

Kurt, I have no reverse bars in my R60. If I recall correctly, they are needed in some crop like barley that I don't plant. I believe John Keller commented on this in an earlier post. How is that R72IJ What size head and what speedIJ Tom Russell

Kurt

We have a 30' 800 series flex head. The R72 is really awesome. We cut 60 bushel heavy straw wheat at 6.5 mph. 61 bushel beans (the neighbors mine wasn't that good) at 4.5 mph. We have an eight row corn head and was running just a little over 6 mph in 208 bushel corn. The cummins engine is just amazing, it just seems to build more horsepower as you need it.

Dan

Kurt: If you don't have cylinder bars extended to discharge you need to. If you have crop loss it could be that crop is stalling then going continuously and taking crop each time. We have many machines with no reverse and some with just two. The next major improment we have found is to install seperator grate cover kit which allows material to flow smoothly threw separator allowing seeds to get out. That cover kit could give you trouble in the high yeilding corn but I doubt it. That cover kit converts that concave style grate to cage material. You probablly read my post the first of the month on green soybeans. We have also installed the steep pitch helicals with a couple extra ones toward discharge and shimmed out with 1_8 flat iron with good results. Number one is to get matierial to flow threw cage good and then shack up flow a bit with reverse bars if needed. Dan

Dusty

Sorry, had a spelling mistake. The second to last sentence should read "We have experienced some breakup of wheat straw and soybean stems."

Dan

Dusty, Take them all out and install forward. If you have crop loss get some half height forward bars from Hyper. I had only two reverse bars in the third row from gearbox on a R62 in wet soybean straw and had a top speed of only 3.3 mph. This was with seperator cover kit in and third helical from gearbox extended. I replaced reverse bars with forward and went right to 5.5 mph and vertially no rotor loss. This was with 25' 800 head with Crary air reel and quite a few weeds in places. Good luck. Dan

Dusty

Thanks for the help Dan. I am confused on the separator cover kit. Our separator grate is not adjustable, does this kit fit on the non-adjustable grateIJ What does this kit doIJ Is it available through parts at our local Agco dealerIJ Also how far should we extend the third helicalIJ Should we install all forward bars with the lowen extensions as well to kick the crop material back to the chopperIJ Alot of questions, but I hope you can help us. Thanks in advance.

Dan

Dusty, The cover kit is available from Gleaner and it bolts right on top of the seperator grate. It looks just like the material the rest of cage is made of. We find that seperator grate will continue to thresh a allready overthreshed crop and it will roll up a hard to convey crop. If you take corn super wet you may have trouble saving it all with the grate covered for I believe that is the main reason Gleaner has it in there. If anyone else out there has any experience with cover kit please comment. We have never removed a cover kit after installing one. I extend third helical from gearbox to edge of seperator grate area. I use loewen bars in all eight locations for they add some strength to the area between last two cylinder heads and I had some problem lining up bolts holes on the first run of bars. I don't have any worry of them bars failing in any way. I have used the Gleaner bars on new rental machines to keep them all Gleaner in case of transfer and they accomplish the same exact thing as loewen. With Gleaners kit you remove the last row of bars to install their long bar so you have the removed bars to use elsewhere. We had a guy all set up with all this stuff and he said he was loosing to much barley so he kept putting in reverse bars until he had eight in there and nothing helped so we asked him what he would accept for lose. He said 3_4 bushel so we pulled spreader and found 1_4 bushel. That was with a 330hp R72. Anyone else with reverse bar experience please comment. Hope this helps. Dan

Dusty

Hi Thanks for the advice. What should I do, put half height cylinder bars in, or just put the regular forward bars in place of the reverse barsIJ Which would you recommendIJ Keep in mind this is for soybeans, wheat and corn. We are not afraid of a little bit of work to set the machine up to do the best job it can. These half height bars, are they forward bars or reverse barsIJ How much are theyIJ Do they come as a balanced pairIJ As well we heard of some guys shimming the helical bars out with washers, is this a good ideaIJ Thanks for any advice. Dusty

Dusty

Hi I forget to ask you about the part number for the separator cover kit. The serial number for our combine is 66355. In our parts book on page n331 there is a separator grate cover kit listed as parts number 71373509, and included in this kit is items 34 and 35. Is this the kitIJ If so, could you tell me how much it costsIJ Thanks for your help. Dusty