Combines Gleaner l2

Hyper_Harvest_II

KW, We need a little more insight to your problem.What crops are you harvestingIJWhat are air and chaffer settingsIJDo you have a hillside grainsaverIJAnswer these questions and maybe we can help you. Hyper Harvest II

kw

we are primarily in corn and soybeans the soybeans seem to bother a lot worse

Hyper_Harvest_II

Kw, I forgot to find out what year your l2 is. Hopefully it is a 1980 l2 or later.This is the year they went to a 7 1_4" longer shoe,more cleaning capacity.Around here I would tell my customers to try running the long tooth chaffer as long as the bean stems are not being pulverized.If you are turning the stems to powder,then you may have to run the short tooth chaffer to eliminate sticks in the grain sample.In either case I would also recommend adding a third lever to both chaffers and running a piece of metal forward and cutting the front six rows of louvers loose so they can be adjusted seperate of the middle and rear tail section.This mod. will allow you to run the front six rows wider than the middle section letting a majority of the grain coming off of the grain pan to drop down to the sieve,which in turn lets you run the middle section of the chaffer tighter,then setting the rear tail section wider to catch any soybeans that make it back that far.Frt. setting 5_8",middle setting 1_2",rear setting 5_8",fan setting 6-7,grainsaver setting 3_4 to full open,sieve setting 3_8"or tighter depending on bin sample(Bean screen would really work well also)Don't forget to check your fan choke to make sure it does not have dirt and dust build-up on it,not letting the choke open up to the position you set it on in the cab.Hopefully we have not totally confused you,also the above mentioned mod. on the chaffer will work super in corn also,frt. setting 3_4",middle 9_16",rear 3_4".Good luck.let us know on further questions. Hyper Harvest II

daren955

I have an 81 l2 that I had the bottom boot put in the bin. If they do it right they should pull the unloading auger up and the boot will provide alot more support. I doubt the combine will still be going by the time it would wear out.

Kaye2

1600 hours does not sound too bad, make sure hour meters do actually work though. Mine on my K2 show 1300 hours but mice had their way with them. l2 will take 8 row corn head and up to 30 foot grain header. Big capacity conventional machine. I like the Gleaners for simplicity and ease of service, they are realiable and parts are easy to get when needed. I have only been around Gleaners and around us there are some die hard IH fans who run them too, this should say something. There is an l2 for sale at local dealer with 15 foot table and 6 row n corn head for 7500$, it is an 80 or 81 model for the sake of price comparison. Keep us posted and good luck!

combinepro

I will try this again. I posted earlier but it didnt show up. First of all the big engine a must, also make for sure it has the long shoe. Simple easy to work on combine. I have ran l2s and never seen or would put anything over a 24 ft head on it. I dont know what kinda of conditions would ever allow a 30ft head, 24 is plenty. Im not trying to steer you away from gleaner, but I dont know what your needs or budget is but I wasnt ever satisfied with the power and seperation and cleaning ability.Well I hope I helped some feel free to ask more questions.

Ed_Boysun

The l2 was a nice simple machine with good capacity for it's day. First thing I'd do is jack up the drive axle so the wheel barely leaves the ground. Then get a bar under the tire and pry to see if there is excessive play on the axle bearing. The grease in the final should be changed regularly and if it isn't, the bearings can develop rust, get loose, allow the bull gear to either chew through the case or in some cases explode the final housing. If checked and maintained they aren't a hi-dollar item. Next thing is to check the shaker pan under the walkers. If the machine was ever run with fatigued rubber bushings, the pan will likely have been either replaced or welded on. Worn rubber drive bushings will shake it to pieces. Same goes for the shoe. Those rubbers should be replaced every couple hundred hours. Wear isn't apparent by looking at them and they don't cost a whole lot, so err on the side of caution. Next, I'd check when the bearings on the main shaft were replaced. If the machine sits outside all the time, I'd do those bearings every 3 or 4 years. If it sits inside, 800 hours is as long as I'd run them. Believe me, you don't want to spin a bearing on that shaft and buy a new one. When the bearings are replaced, make sure the big nut that holds everything together is properly tightened (5 - 600 lbs. ft. of torque.) Make sure you at least keep the little chain sprocket on the left side of the fan shaft from getting too sharp. Keep a decent chain on that drive and keep the sprocket good to avoid troubles with the fan bearings. Ed in Montana

NEBRASKA_GlEANER

Where are you locatedIJWe have an '82 l2 with the long shoe,big motor,hydro,all tattletale monitors,chopper,ahhc,A630 black ch,and 315 flex. We are looking at getting a late model N-5 or N-6

kooch

I am also located in NE. I couldn't use the 630 cornhead as I am on 36 inch rows. I am near retirement and don't want to make the switch anymore. Besides when dryland makes 226 bu why would I want to change. Are you sure you want an N6IJ I heard these early rotaries had a lot of lemons. A neighbor had one that he got brand new at the time and got rid of it in short order. Nothing but grief. Also a friend mechanic of mine that specializes in AC and Gleaner discourged me from owning one of these old albatrosses. What are the hours and condition of your machineIJ I know this machine is capable of 8-30's but I would never utilize the capacity. I have owned Gleaners all my life,starting with and old "A" so pretty much know them inside out, otherwise I would probably switch colors.

NEBRASKA_GlEANER

The combine is in very good shape.We have installed a new grain tank bottom this year and a few new belts.Whatever needs replacing we do it.It got new sidehill raddles [lower and upper],chaffer mod,good tan interior w_cassette player.The bean head has poly skid plates and poly feather sheets, and we switched all the reel teeth to plastic,and it has the hose mod. I think the engine hours are around 3200.