Tractors Why hasn't Cat taken over North America

jdforever

I have seen alot of good things about the Claas / Cat combines. They seem to have an amazing threshing system and pretty good reliability. I think they are the dominant player in many markets around the world.

Why are they not selling that many here and have such poor resale value?

Auctionguyyy

My 2 cents is that they did a very good job trying to sell to the big boys and hutterite colonies, but never did much work training the guys who may be the second or third owner. Therefore resale value nosedives. I know auctioneers are very conservative in valueing them because they can't guarantee to get 2 farmers at a sale willing to push it to near retail.

Everybody wants a deal.

Auctionguyyy

Cat combines definitely pose a challenge to remarketing.

I am wondering the value of the JD combines going forward. There are thousands of 9770 era combines sitting on dealers lots across North America.

The new guys keep buying / leasing and flipping every year, but where is the second buyer stepping up.

If you can pay 350,000 for a used combine, you may as well pay 400,000 for a new one.

Alex Ryan

Lexion did a great job trying to utilize the already existant "Cat" dealer network in marketing their product in North America but unforunately Cat being more an industrial company than agriculture just didn't have the push it needed to bring Lexion to the mainstream. Without a good dealer network a product is about worthless. AGCO even has an established dealer network already but struggles in resale and market share. It will be a VERY uphill battle for Claas/Lexion.