Combines Update on R60 engine trouble

John

Not the first HOT STORY on the Deutz engine in a combine. Neighbor 2 miles away burnt up the whole engine compartment and engine a few years back on an R60, and most of the Deutz engined Gleaners are hard to trade or sell in this area. Neighbor got the insurance check and bought an R52(Cummins) and says it is twice the machine the R60 was, and he had an Early N6 before the R60 that he was happier with and said it had more capacity than the R60. Tractors never seem to have a problem with plugged and overheating fins that the combines do.

Tom_Russell

Hey John let me know if you run across a used R60_70 or R62_72 with a Deutz. I would like to buy another one. Tom in MN

4_Star

John, we run 2-R70's and 2-R62's and going back to last years wheat harvest, the wheat was yielding around 65-75 bu_acre on a very hot 102 degress day. The 62's with cummins liquid cooled engines water temp was one needle width away from the red. Whereas the 70's air cooled engine oil temp was 5 needle widths away from the red. In other words the air cooled engines do real good in extreme conditions. It is just a matter of good maintenance and a bit of knowledge about these things.

4_Star

John, we run 2-R70's and 2-R62's and going back to last years wheat harvest, the wheat was yielding around 65-75 bu_acre on a very hot 102 degress day. The 62's with cummins liquid cooled engines water temp was one needle width away from the red. Whereas the 70's air cooled engine oil temp was 5 needle widths away from the red. In other words the air cooled engines do real good in extreme conditions. It is just a matter of good maintenance and a bit of knowledge about these things.

red

just went threw ks. saw several in pratt. think it was kincheloe or something like that . 2 R70 ,2 R62and 2R72

John

I can honestly say that I have never heard a bad word about the Deutz engine in wheat and corn country, but in my area with corn and soybeans, the soybean fuzz kills them fast! They are a twice a day blow out minimum when in soybeans, the water cooled N's, R's and R2's have far less failure rate. My local dealer doesn't even like to trade for the Deutz engine combine. And a dealer in E. Central Iowa has had an R60 on his lot for 2 years without a bite, and it is a good looking machine. Deutz engine tractors do just fine here, but not the combines! And every Deutz engine combine to make the area salvage yards has had a blown or burnt engine as it's problem, similar to the early N6(670HI). And if you read the spec sheet put out by DA Gleaner, the R60 is equal to an N_R5-52 in internal capacity. The N_R6-62 are equals, Deutz did Gleaner no favors except simplify(less parts) the rotary design. Your 2 R70's are equals to the R62's in internal capacity(not grain tank),the N_R7-72 are bigger, that is direct info from the spec sheets put out by AC, DA and Agco. Deutz downgraded the Gleaners, or so the spec sheet says. The neighbor found that his R52 has the same capabilities(capacity) as his burned R60 had and is less of a machine than his early N6 was. I have yet to even come close to overheating my late N6 in 200+bu corn and 60 bu soybeans, and the limiting factor of the ground speed is the heads with 6-30 and 20'flex. Normally run 6 to 7 mph on corn and sickle speed on beans, so that I'm not pushing them over.

Kelly

What spec sheet are you readingIJ Nearly all early R60's and R70's parts were fully interchangeable with the late N6's and N7's. In fact, putting R60-70 parts on late N6-7's updated them and imporved them! The P3's were just a design change in the rotor area. There wasn't a reduction in capacity that I am aware of. All shoe parts are fully interchangeable clear up to the 96 62 and 72 when the shoe was lengthened. Kelly

John

Rotor Cage area and Cleaning area are less on the Deutz R60 machines. The N_R6-62 non-Deutz are larger. The R40 was in it's own class, the R50_60 are similar and the R70 is in it's own class. AC had the N_R5 smaller and the N_R6_7 as similar except engine hp and grain tank. And Agco has the 42 and 52 similar and the 62 and 72 similar again except engine hp and grain tank capacity. They may be the same but Deutz rated them at less.

Tom_Russell

John, As Kelly said, What spec sheet are you readingIJ Perhaps someone has given you completely erroneous information. Tom in MN

Kelly

let me assure you that the cage and rotor did not change in cleaning area when the R60-70 came along. The R50 and 52 are mighty for their size and in certain crops they can really hum along but they are not a 60 or 62 by any means. There was a change somewhere along the way when the cage area above the feed chain was made solid instead of perforated but that happened to the smaller combines, too. Kelly