Combines Husker Harvest Days

Farmer_Ed

I agree with Kurt. Why compare an apple to a watermelonIJ! let's compare apples to apples here! If I was a company competing to make an impression, I'd like to have the latest and greatest, biggest and best out there to compare with as well! Also since that is the basic reason behind a rotary (oh yea and sts! ;-) is to "push them" otherwise they will throw trash out the back, then why do they have a speed limitIJ! I'm not a big fan on speed, but quality of job is what I like to see so if they can get that while running fast, then so let it be! I wish there would be a combine day somewhere in Michigan where every major company could compete in the same field at the same time under the same conditions! I know they used to or so my dad tells me! That is how we went from JD to Gleaner to IH now. Still have the Gleaners though! ;-) Remember the main thing though, compare apples to apples here! Thanks for letting me voice my opinion.

Grainman

Ed, Most farmers,weather it be the Gleaner's or any other make want to run as fast as their machines will let them to MAXIMIZE PROFITS WHIlE MINIMIZING lOSSES AT THE SAME TIME. No time to put around comparing "apples to apples", that's when lost grain and lost profit take over!

T__langan

They have speed limits here in WI at FPD too. I always walk way down the field past the crowd and motion for the combine operators to "gun" it - they usually will at that point where the safety people don't see them. Heck, if 4mph is the limit, Gleaner could have sent an R52 to compete against the rest. Most combines, especially Gleaners, don't do near as good of a job only running half capacity. I say let'em roar and have the safety people just keep the crowd back further until the machines have passed. Also, here in WI, it is up to the nearest dealer to bring the machinery for the field demos - perhaps the local dealer didn't have a 72 at this timeIJIJ Tom langan

Farmer_Ed

Yes that is right, but I've seen people with your theory (this year in wheat actually) run with a conventional and was trying to keep up with another machine and when it was all said and done, yes he did get the field done quicker and yes he did maximize profit becuase now he has a thicker wheat field then what he started out with! So like I say, you have to compare apples to apples, a 9600 vrs. 2388 vrs. (or R-62 ;-)) for example and they both are totally different concepts but roughly same size and capacity machine (class) so therefore it wouldn't be fair to run a 55 JD against a 9600 because I imagine the 9600 is going to make the 55 look bad for example, therefore if a company puts out a machine in the field, another company should put one out (if at all possible) or at least close to compare them fairly!

Grainman

I'm not talking about a versus match, I'm talking about each individual machine and farmer getting the job done as quick as possible.

High_Rise

I was there, corn was pretty dry, 180bpa, everybody was going about 6MPH no matter what head they had. Massey rotory seemed to be the most overpowered of all with an eight row head. Silver Seeder, Deereclone, Cat all had 12 row heads, ran same speed which was fast as one could run, puked corn till all wagons were full. No demo at all.

Oly

It's an awesome show that you could probably cover in 2 days. I usually go for 1 day but am disappointed that I didn't see everything I wanted to. The kids will love it.

Neb_Al

I think to see everything really well at HHD you could keep yourself busy 2 days. They have a huge ride and drive of just about every tractor manufacturer. If your kids like machinery like I do I think it would be more fun than Disneyland but it might get to be quite a bit of walking as the grounds are pretty big.