Combines F Gleaner

Farmer_Ed

The combine you are looking at would have (if original) an orange color engine which would be a 292 cubic inch Generous Motors straight 6 cylinder motor. Althought not much of a GM man, these engines in my book are above and beyond the best that GM has made. They are heavy duty motors that will last years and hour after hour as long as they are maintained well. Keep an eye on the exhaust manifold cracks_leaks. Put a racing fuel filter on the fuel line so you don't plug the screen in the carb and you can replace the filters easily. You may want to add lead additive as well. Clean the air cleaner often and the blow out the radiator when needed and these engines will be like the Energizer Rabbit! I have dealt with many of these machines and I have the utmost faith year after year with these motors. let me know if you have any other questions.

FordTractorMan

Thanks for the info, Farmer Ed. Any guess what this unit would be worthIJ The guy who has it says it'll run after he puts a new coil on it, but it's gonna need some minor work (bearings, etc. it sounds like). He's asking $500 for this unit and a parts F w_o transmission or rear axle. Any clue how much an F weighs and what its top speed isIJ $500 sounds pretty good to me if it isn't just worn out. ThoughtsIJ Thanks!

Farmer_Ed

It's only worth what your willing to pay I suppose. I would not go over $500.00 if it is a parts machine though, unless you had others. Is it worth fixing upIJ Depends on how bad it really is. Make sure it runs first before anything, the engine is the heart of the beast! Weight I would guess around 3.5ton (7,000 lb's)and top speed is probably about 15mph. look at everything closely first before getting eager to buy it. Parts are expensive and becoming less available. Good luck. let me know if anything else arises.

FordTractorMan

Thanks, FarmerEd. I'm going to look at it this weekend and I'll let you know.