Combines Need buying advice for a Massey 410

410_Guy

I am in the same position as you in looking for a used machine. I have noticed rust to be the biggest problem particularly in the bottom of the grain tank and around the base of the unloading auger.

AJTIII

I have a pre quick attach throat 510. Heres what I would look for if buying a 5 10 or 410 used. look at the main grain pan just above the transmission. look for holes, repairs and rust. It looks like an old time wash board if your not familiar with Masseys. While your under the machine move back to the under side of the fan housing and look for stress cracks. Then proceed to the clean grain auger that runs across the bottom of the machine. Mine started to rust out even though I've owne'd my machine since 1972 and kept it in the barn. Next move to the rear of the machine and look at the rear housing that covers the straw walkers. Climb up on top and look down across the tin work for cracks. I've had friends tell me about the straw chopper being out of balance just enough to create enough vibration to break the whole rear housing away from the combine after a period of time. Kind of like working a coat hanger over a period of time. Also like the other gentlemen said, look at the bottom of the grain tank and around the unloading auger for rust. GOOD lUCK. AJTIII.

Freddy

The other guys have brought up some good points, here are a few more, we also run a 410. If the machine has done soybeans, check for stone damage to the cylinder bars and concaves. Check to see if the metal strips in the sieves are loose, not hard to change but expensive. Our hydraulic oil pump leaked, changed seals, but still leaked, so ended up replacing it. That was expensive, but oil collects dust, less expensive than an engine fire. Ours has the gas engine, it had a crack in the exhaust manifold. Check that the straw walkers are straight. like the other fellow said, look for cracks, they tend to grow, I once saw a 410 that was almost split in half at the back. They tend to be hit in the back, its a blind spot. If so, make sure that the body isn't warped so bad that the grain pan isn't sealing against the side of the body. I've noticed that machines in wrecking yards often are missing the gearbox that drives the cylinder, I would check for play there. Ours has some, I don't know how much is normal.Where are you locatedIJ We bought our 410 at an auction, it came with a 44 corn head that we have never used, its taking up room in the shed. I am in south west Ontario, Canada.Good luck, Freddy

Mac

Go for a 750, twice the combine for a wee bit more,but get a later model if possable