Combines 9700 9720 White Massey combines

knucklebuster

I have an early 9700 with a lot of updates on it so basically it's a 9720 now. Just broke the crankshaft on mine this week. There is an outfit , in Iowa I believe, that can modify your crank if the pulley has just spun to a tapered shaft with a wider key. You'll want to make sure most of the updates are complete on the 9700's, especially the fuel injection pump. They original used a CAV DP-15 which is a distributor style, not worth the coals to melt it down. Most have puked out by now and been updated with a Bosch inline. The feed impeller seems to take some abuse on these machines because it's your one and only chance to remove stones. Unfortunately, if the machine has seen a lot of rocks the stationary ledge under the feed impeller will bend downward and create a larger opening which will in turn pass bigger rocks. The other weak point is the pitman which drives everything that shakes on this machine, grain pans, sieves, etc. It all comes though one pitman so pay attention to this area. Otherwise they are a pretty solid machine if you keep on top of a few maintenance items. Good luck.

Rich

Well the field work is done now so I'm back to combine shopping. The 9700 that am looking at (if it hasn't been sold) has been through the crankshaft problems associated with front pulley.In fact the engine was majored while they where at it, 0 field hrs. since done. The insides look straight except for the grain pan which has a sag in it. I haven't seen the beater as I don't know how to access it, must be a pannel I missed.What are the updates that you mentionIJ I think the machine that I'm looking at is an early model also I have noticed that the clean grain auger in the tank is horizontal and the later ones have an angled auger. Any suggestion as to what one of these is worthIJ Thanks for the info knucklebuster