Combines 510 vs Deere 105

knucklebuster

Have you considered 915 IH's We used to run a 550 Massey and the 915 would clean it's clock in corn and soybeans. The 915 was a little shoe limited in small grains mainly due to poor air distribuition. Those saddle tank, engine by the cab Massey's are hard to work on and for the age of machine you're considering they will probably need some wrenching. For shelling corn you'll like the much faster unloading rate on the IH also. We also had an 815 which is probably closer in capacity to the 510 or 105. These things are going pretty cheap up here in MN and dealer support is available. Can't say the same for Massey but your area could be different.

Corn_Pro

I appreciate your thoughts knucklebuster, IH had good machines. I think I'll hold off on that 510 right now and look around for a 815, or 915. That 105 has been an excellent combine but parts are becoming scarce on the dealers shelves for it.

Knucklebuster

Don't know if you're soliciting but a couple of things to look into would be when the last time the splines in the 90 deg. gearbox that drives the hydro motor had been looked at. Usually pretty reliable if they are checked out about the time you have to replace the separator clutch. Our 815 failed and the combine has to be drug in from the field because the whole bell housing, separator clutch, hydro motor assy. has to be cherry picked. And,.... the other weak point that I've found on these machines is the pivot arm which raises and lowers the front of the concave. The left side (under the cab) nearest the worm and sector is pretty rigid because the length of shaft from the sector to the l.H.S concave support is pretty short. The 1.25" (or is it 1-1_8" can't recall) shaft carries all the way across the to the r.h.s. concave support and it is my feeling that the stock shaft is inadequate for handling slugs from weedy soybeans and swathed small grains if it starts feeding in in big bunches. After twisting a couple of shafts (can't keep the concave level) and actually snapping the r.h.s. concave arm over center I had a stepped shaft machined up which fits in the standard bushing holes but is larger in diameter between the concave supports. Hope this helps,and good luck in your search. Knucklebuster