Combines mf 750 grey cab smoking problem

Deerebines

Fred......Change the fuel filters. Dad did this on the 860 yesterday and it dropped the black coming out of the exhaust stack immensly. If that don't help then there is the chance that the pump is set up. That's nothing more then an educated guess though. Respectively

AJTIII

This may sound far fetched, but make sure your air filter is clean and there are no restrictions on your air intake piping and hoses. Good luck.

Deerebines

Farfetched nothing aj........Your right on the money and I forgot to even mention that. The hardest problems always have the simplest solutions.

AJTIII

Thanks Deerebine.I hope Fred lets us in on what he finds out. Talking on this site with people who share their experiences can really save us all a lot of dollars instead of having the AGCO mechanic come out for $40 or more an hour and scratch his head, look at you and ask "I'm not sure, what do you thinkIJ"

fred

thanks for the tips. haven't gone over the machine for harvest yet but when we get it ready will let you know what we find. on a different subject we just purchased a 1983 860 with just 1572hrs. the machine looks excellent. right now my only concern is that it is a 6 cyl. and may be underpowered. are they bad or shouldn't i worry too much.

fred

i was just wondering if anyone can tell me why there is no fuel coming through the return line. we checked and it is not plugged.

Deerebines

Fred........give me some more info about this dilimma your having. You say no fuel from the return line. Now is this while you are handpriming the system with the line cracked or is this with the engine running and the line is cracked openIJ How many hours is on this engineIJ Has there ever been any work done to the fuel system at all to your knowledge such as the pump being set up or taken off for any reasonIJ I don't understand why your not getting any return fuel. Those injectors are hydralic and not manually ran so you know that the pump's got to be pushing enough fuel to open them up and hold them open long enough to get some fuel in there. If it's smoking terribly then perhaps there is no fuel returning at all and your litterally "washing down" the cylinders with diesel. If that's the case then I'm lost as to how to fix the problem other than take off the pump and send it to a shop along with the injectors. I reset the pressures on dad's several years ago and they were very incosistant on their pressures and If they are set too high that would delay timing possibly enough to make it smoke extremely black as well by not burning all the fuel as necessary. Email me if you want and let me know what all you have done. Perhaps we can whoop this problem together. Just got to think like massey.....or in this case perkins. lOl Respectively

fred

we had planned on going through the pump this year but time and money didn't permit. i hope to get a chance this next summer to figure this out. i am not sure if the previous owner did anything to the pump. i will let you know what i find.