Combines concave wires

tj

You might have a problem with smaller components dropping thru before they can thresh. Suggest you install fillers underneath the front 4 or 5 spaces between the crossbars in front to prevent this happening. Also, check the height of the concave crossbars--they should be about 3_8" and no more above the suspension wires--any more than that and the problems you mention in corn and flowers will show up. Hope this is clear.

Dan

Dwayne, I wouldn't be afraid of removing approx. every other wire from concaves. We normally remove from rear concave if it has narrow spaced wires and leave the front alone so you can still fasten filler plates on the top of wires. I would prefer to fasten fillers from bottom like tj suggests but that is harder to do. If you have unthreshed heads in the bin or coming over the shoe you will need fillers. I prefer covering seperator grate with cage type covers and you would be removing all wires when or if you did that. Check my post under sunflowers on 3-7-99 for your sunflowers. I have many machines that have a solid plate installed on top and back of thresher concaves to prevent grinding up sunflower plant which damages seeds and makes it hard to clean up sample. It seems to be most important to cover front concave when grinding crop to much. Good luck in whatever you do. Dan

M__Gorden

More likely than not, if you do not plug the remaining holes, bean and or tassle stems will catch in the holes and reduce the separation area gained by pulling wires. I would not weld the holes shut. Welding is not that much faster than inserting bolts plus you will put a lot of unwanted heat in your concaves, not to mention the spatter that will help catch material. It is my opinion, bolt and nuts are the best alternative.

Ham

I've not done it, but i have heard of using an oxy-acetylene torch to cut through the wire each side of the bar, thus leaving the hole filled.

cnhtek

If you have a factory NH concave, that is normal, the plate bolted to the fron of the concave holds the wires in place. I have no idea why they make them longer than the concave is, but it is not a big issue, I would not replace them. If you have a harvest services concave the wires shouldn't be there anyway, I would just remove them.