Combines rebuilding 860

Deerebines

Corncob I'm not sure how much your wanting to spend here but I am serious as a heart attack when I say junk that damm perkins and put in a cummins. Dad has an 860 and a 750 and they are both fairly good machines even though my favoratism is green. I've ran both of those machines for pop and there isn't enough wrong with them for me to really complain about or put them down....(for the most part I'm colorblind except for allis!!) except for that shaking perkins. I told dad that's the reason right there I believe for all the lines that keep cracking that we keep having to fix along with having the shakes every night after harvesting and getting out of it. I'm not sure what everyone else's opinion is on it but I know that massey is a fairly good machine minus that "shake and bake" engine. My 2cents respectfully

tj

I wouldn't be in a big hurry to change engines. I work on massey combines and the engine seems to be the least of problems. If it vibrates I wouldcheck the chooper very closely, it can shake the hood to pieces if it is off much or over time. Not sure what you mean by "more performance"TJ

Deerebines

TJ Neither of dad's machines has a chopper. It's the engine that makes the vibration. I don't care what massey your in they all vibrate like heck (referring to the at6-3544 and the v-8). One of perkins design flaws in my own opinion. I know what you mean about the chopper though. I heard the dealer talk about it quite a while back. This is the first year for a chopper on our farm. Really like it!! (on my 9600 that is). Deerebines

Deerebines

AJ When I refer to shaking I don't mean like the shaker pan at the elevator to sort out chaff from the wheat to see what the FM dock is going to be. All I know is from going between my deere to dad's two masseys I notice a definite vibration. It has to be the engine. Neither one has a chopper on it and they don't even have to have the seperator engaged. The main bearing that comes off the engine behind the cab that you have to remove that great big heavy pulley to get to ( I can't remember what that bearings called) is good on both machines. The 750's was replaced only a few years ago.

Deerebines

AJTIII lOl.......Here I go talking like usual and someone thinks I'm a jehovah witness for deere.....Just kidding...Heh heh Seriously now. Wasn't trying to convert you at all. Just was stating what I really thought would help that machine out. I don't mind dad's massey's to darn much. I just wish that massey would of considered someone would actually have to work on them someday sooner or later. Some of those designs.....Aargghhh......Me and pop were just discussing how much full coverage insurance through farm bureau is cheaper for his massey than my deere. Before I traded for the 9600 My 6620 was around 58 bucks every 6 months and dad's on his 860 is only around 39 dollars if I remember correctly every 6 months. Naw.....those ole girls arnt that bad. But I'm still not trading off my maximizer for one!!! Deerebines

Deerebines

Terry Hmmm.........Did I note sarcasm at the end thereIJ Getting to the point a fellow can't even give his .02 without getting flogged. As before........Not putting down the massey. Just stating what I see needed to make this a better machine. We've run them since the ole 82 and dad bought this first 750 new in 80. Not like I havn't been around them or have a biased base view simply cause I run deere. Just passing on my opinion is all. I do know what you mean about the fuel tank brackets cracking and the tank falling off. Had a fellow here close by who lost his tank entirely not knowing the brackets had cracked. Pop just welded his back together this past summer and reinforced it so it wouldn't happen again. As for the v-8.......consider yourself lucky. The same fellow that had his tank fall of his 760 had fuel lines crack and break in the same machine with the v-8. Not sure how many hours or if it was even the original engine. I know he had changed it out once before he sold it when quitting. There's definitely some worries about whether or not a crop's going to come in or commodity prices will stay within profitable bounds to make payments on a machine like I have but hey............I sleep better at night knowing I've got a machine that's not going to fall apart on me or break me in repairs and if I decide to turn around and sell it I'll get a majority of my major investment back........No sarcasm.....Just to each thier own. Respectively