Combines 8460 or 8450 combineIJIJIJIJ

New2Gleaner

I operated a 8460 last summer for a few days; - it was a trade-in which my dealer rented to me when my New Holland was in the shop! Great capacity in barley and mixed grain! I didn't like the machine overall, though. Engine is somewhat difficult to work around, should you ever have to, and the cab was noisey compared to my New Holland. Parts prices would scare me, as well, although I'm told that there in-line with competitive machines so far. I traded my NH on a Gleaner.

customcombiner

What was the cab likeIJ Was the one you drove have the screen or whatever on the rightIJ And if so was there anything digitalIJ Because I was just wondering if that would be something to go wrong.

New2Gleaner

The 8460 I operated was built the second last year offered by MF, I believe around 1996 or so; - I would think it could be considered to be a late model machine. It had All the digital conveniences of ANY machine offered today, and the cab layout was OK! I don't care what the diehard Claas fans say, the 6 bar cylinder on this machine is NO COMPARISON to the high enertia cylinder which was offered on an 860 Massey. As on any combine, there's AlWAYS lot's to go wrong, so I consider parts availability to be imperative! There IS NO Claas "combine" dealers in North America anymore; - there product has been painted blue, green, and red over the years, and marketed by at least 3 different companies. CAT is the latest contender to succeed in SUCCESSFUllY marketing these machines in North America, and I think they will be successful in doing so. I only question what service and parts availability will be like for "pre-lexion (CAT)" machines. I think AGCO will be the strongest source for replacement parts in the next 5 years or so.