Combines WHY MFIJ

SilverTurnedGreen

I run two combines, a Gleaner C62 and a Deere 9610, so I feel I can objectively answer your question. In corn, I find the two machines basically equal. In wheat and beans, or any small grains for that matter, the Deere is marginally greater in capacity. What the C62 lacks in walker and concave area, it gains in cleaning capacity plus, I find it to be a great advantage on the C62 to have the crop mat fed into the cylinder at a constant angle, unlike the Deere. You mentioned you need your straw; - so do I. The C62 seems to batter the straw up pretty harsh, and I think the reason for this is the two extra beaters needed to rotate the straw 180 degrees down onto the walkers. Not too bad if you're direct cutting, but far worse if you're picking up a windrow. I like the Gleaner, but if I had to own only one combine, it would have to be the Deere.

Goober

I was just wondering what the walker loss is in the Gleaner compared to the DeereIJ A friend of mine runs a JD9500 and I run a MF 850. His Deere is much larger in all areas than my Massey but in small grains he can't do as many acres in a day as I can if he tries to keep his walker losses as mininmal as mine. That is actually unachievable, he can't get his walker loss to nil. The local JD dealer says in 100 bushel barley a 9500 can only do 25 -30 acres a day (eight hours) and do a great job. They could easily push 50 acres through their machine but the walker losses are unacceptable. They have done everything to improve the machine except put in the Kuchar kit. I have tried to talk them into it but the dealer has them convinced that won't do any better. Just charge the farmer a dollar an acre less and go faster. Their dad bought a new 9510 and it isn't much better.

SilverTurnedGreen

We removed every second wire on the high side, pulled the concave up and increased the cylinder speed; - this seemed to help quite a bit. I might mention, though, that (as far as I'm concerned) a NEW 860 would exceed the capacity of my C62 is wheat or small grains. Our neighbor has run Massey for years, and I was always impressed with the quality and capacity their machine had in small grains.

tj

We presently have a patent pending concerning installing modified cylinders and rotors which use a completely different style cylinder_rotor bar. We've done about 40 IH rotors, 6 Massey rotors, 26 pairs of NH rotors, 20 l and M Gleaner conventional cylinders, and 6 N_R series rotors. We were working on lessening shoe load, and increasing throughput. These mods have been very successful in all crops we've had them in. A side benefit is that straw of any kind is much easier to bale, etc. since it's not broken up as badly. We haven't had the opportunity, as yet, to do this to a C-62 or any other newer conventional machine, but results in l and M have pretty well shown that results would be much the same in those, as well.

SilverTurnedGreen

Keep me posted; - I'm interested! Other than this little problem of walker loss and battered straw, I really like the C62.

Super_99

Try a Massey rotor. The straw coming out of it you have to feel the heads to make sure all the wheat is out