Combines Deerebines How goes itIJ

Deerebines

Hey Cowdoc looking forward to hearing the story about your 860 you've found. So far we've gotten in about a total of 3 days of harvesting. The first day pop was going I sat on my rear and did little things that needed done around the farm while I was waiting for my new clean grain and return grain chains to arrive for the 9600. The next day lil bro comes down and helped me and we got them in. Very very simple job and very easy to adjust them both. I was quite amazed. That morning I had finished putting the front drum back in the feederhouse and tightening that chain. I had that all torn apart to weld up two cracks I had found in the front part of the feederhouse. Finally started cutting. I cut for two hours and was broke down again. This time the fan in the cab that you can regulate with the switch behind you quit. It was the contact point's on the switch that needed cleaned. Emery clothed them and wd-40 them and put it all back together and it worked fine. Probably saved myself around a 100 bucks not buying a new one. I put a switch in then to shut off that mickey mouse fan that deere has to bring fresh air into the area of the cab under the seat (Seperate from the fan that you can control with the switch settings behind you). I was getting so sick and tired of every time I wanted to use the cell phone or try and hear the engine start all I heard was the roar of that darn fan. That problem has been solved now. Next day no cutting........rained the night before. Around an inch. Finally got going yesterday late afternoon. I cut two fields while pop was sowing in some cane seed (sweet sorghum_sumac). Towards the end of the day he joined me with the 860 and we finished up another field. Ran like he-- with the combines for home and dumped off the headers and we got everything in except my deere before it started raining like cats and dogs. Got around 30 to 35 hundredths is all last nite but the humidity was to high today to cut. One neighbor tried at 4:00 p.m. and it was 17 percent moisture. So we figure we'll probably be going by around 2:00 tomorrow (wednesday, 21st). I think we got both machines fine tuned now (specially that green one) and if mother nature waits on the rain till we're done we should have smooth sailing again. I'm not complaining about the rain......no siree, not one bit. The milo is looking the best it's looked now and it's all coming up finally. I just wish though Mother Nature would of been doing this earlier and then let us have our harvest.....oh well, I wouldn't be happy if I wasn't griping....part of the job descrip as a farmer you know....lOl. Guess that's about all I have to report now. I havn't looked at the tickets yet from yesterdays field to give you the specifics but in the morning if I have time I'll figure out what it made and post it here along with test weight and moisture. I do remember lil bro saying that the load he took in this morning was around 12.4 moisture and the field we was cutting the other day before the big rain was around 9. I like taking grain to the elevator right around 13. It makes the truck heavier and you're selling the elevator a bit of moisture right along with the grain and not getting docked for it. If you figure it out your actually making less money on 9 moisture wheat than 13. It tends to make a difference when you start getting in the 10's of thousand's of bushels and the test weight vary's from 58 to 62. Going to get to bed now. lil bro and me finished up putting a exhaust manifold on the chevy tonite and a new muffler. He lost the old one the other day bringing that truck to the field and it wedged the muffler between the pto shaft for the hoist and the frame. That was a fun one to beat out. This manifold we put on we found on an old beater that hadn't been run for years and I had to beat a mud dobber's nest out of it. Between it and the muffler that we found in the shed I don't know which one's the mice left thier scent on worse but when bro fired up the truck to see if our efforts had payed off the smell alone drove me out of the quonsett. Phoooo-weeeeeee! Didn't cut wheat today but it was still a full day of work. Take care.....write more when I get some specifics penciled out. Deerebines