Combines What to do with 850 860 combines

Deerebines

Boom Your right! As far as I'm concerned massey should of start putting in those cummins when they rolled off the factory floor instead of that overpriced smoking perkins. If you have a project you need a powerplant for that's cheap horse though I imagine these masseys will be hard to beat. I know of a fellow that does haying and runs oil fields as a sideline. He bought an 850 and made a bale fork that fits on the feederhouse and he can stack two bales at a time with it or pick a load of pipe casing high enough to roll it off onto the flatbed semi. With the 3rd cylinder option massey had he's got all the lift power in the world he needs to put whatever he wants up on that flatbed......he's only limited on his height. I've anticipated a self-propelled grain cart with one only I don't know if the hydro's can handle 500 to 700 bushel of grain and try to go over a terrace or up a hill. I know the old man's plays heck at times just going up the steep hills without the belts screaming. Another option would be a homemade sprayer. I think you'll see them around for a long time being used for other practices.....I bet the silver cabs with the silver stripe will be chugging down through the field harvesting for several several more years to come though. Just my thoughts

johnboy

Gee fellows we liked the Perkins in our 750s_850s.The fuel pump was reset in our last 850 to put out 172hp and that machine has now done over 5000 hrs with very little engine problems on the other hand Cummins stuck us with a bill of $3000 for a new computer at 1800 hrs.The reason we have the 850 still doing custom work with the Gleaners,A they are easy to teach someone to work,B they are good for leaving straw behind for baling,C some of our clients ask for it so they can keep the grain away just by themselves with the Gleaners they need outside help. D they do a great job,a good machine let down by white shirts and ties. my two cents worth; john

boomhauer

Your right johnboy,they're a great combine.In some ways they're ahead of their time,example being the paddle feed,the 3 sieve setup,and the quick-change header.If MF had better upper management,they still would be a force to recon with.let's face it,these machines are old,and their worn out.I can't afford a 10 yr old machine let alone new,and unfortunetly every other combine of that vintage is worn out too,but at least I can get parts.When I break down it's a 1 1_2 hour trip one way to get MF parts.Sometimes I have to go 3 1_2 hours.If I owned JD or IH it's 10 minutes.I would like to trade to a Massey rotary,but again I'm back to high priced parts and a long trip.By the way I had a 860 and went through 3 engines in one year because the mechanics couldn't rebuild it properly(the stress level was pretty high that year!).With a Cummins they are a widely known engine with a good rep.I can't say that with the Perkins after the trouble I had.

kidroff

I don't really like the AV8-540 Perkins on my 760. But the Massey engineering didn't help any either. When you put a big engine like the AV8 in a combine then put the intake fan right behind the cab you are just asking for trouble.and by the way I called the Massey dealer which is 4 hours away about a new fan assembly for my 760, it was only $800. Hell that's worth more than the whole machine.

johnboy

We never liked the V8s either but we had had a great run run out of the boosted 6s.The GREAT idea of having the rotary screen behind the cab was to keep the hot air away from the driver;too bad that the V8s ran hot,screens choked and restricted cab room with this design.john

dirtdigger

what is the major difference in a 760 and 860 besides sizeIJ