Combines massey 410 cylinder bar and concave wear

gnu

It sounds like the leading edges of your concave crossbars are rounded.... crossbars need to be square in order to retard material and force it to the cleaning shoe thru the concave...look for a radius about the same diameter as a BB...if crossbars are about that roundness, it should be replaced....if cylinder bar teeth are rounded over from front to back and under 1_4" tall, they should also be replaced....Concave not bad to change--does fit tight and needs to come straight out...if newer style, has 2 carriage bolts holding it in back adjusters,,if older style, has shaft all the way thru machine..both styles have shaft thru fron of concave...if running large tires, may find it necessary to pull at least 1 wheel (FYI 9000 series JD are mounted almost identical to a Massey)..........Hope this helps

freddy

Thanks for your reply gnu. Sounds like you've done this before. Our concave is at least that rounded. One more question - I've read about reconditioned concaves, I think they weld them, then grind them back to the right profile. I'm sure a new concave from the dealer will cost a bundle - does anyone have any experience or recommendations with reconditioned concavesIJI'm hesitant to put a lot of $ in an old machine. Thanks again, Fred

gnu

Freddy...Yes, I've done this many times before...At my place of business, we hardface concaves and grind them to profile, giving around 3 times the life of the original..We also hardface cylinder bars for extended life...Incidentally, my name is Terry Welch--they make you have a nickname and a password on this site, and gnu is what I came up with....If you'd like to call for info, our n is (800) 549-3289....You'll see quite a few posts from me on these machinery and combine things---I'm one of those guys who just can't keep my mouth shut.......Regards

farmer

hey ......take it from a farmer that had his combine concaves done at st john welding....he does good work....mine was in a 750 and i used to have a 410 had them both done there and they do fine work.....i recomend them highly......im in nebraska