Combines airfoil chaffers

Jerry

We have one in a 7720 and I like it ,has no adjustment , it is a steel one

DAB

Hi, Doug, I'm running a rigid airfoil chaffer on an N-5, and like anything else, it has its good and bad points. I think that I can save a bit more grain with the standard chaffer.( seems like its harder to get enough wind through an airfoil in tough cleaning conditions) On the other hand, I love the way its built. You can't break it, and it's great when you have to climb into the back of the machine! Plus it is one less adjustment to monkey with.( Key for someone like me who has trouble setting his machine!) Anyway, I hope this helps.Darin

Strawboss

We bought an airfoil at least 10 years ago and I think it's around here somewhere. It was for a R60. We tried it in soybeans and corn. It was ok in beans but teriable in corn. It was worse on hills. We put deviders on it but still it dumped crop out the back if we pushed at all, for sure on slopes. I don't think we even tried in small grain. The shoe was almost never a limiting factor in wheat. I see you had a MH before and would suppose you have some hills in your part of the country. For us buying our airfoil was a big waste of money. If I were you I would want to see one work on your machine and on your terrain before spending any money.

Tom_Russell

Hey Darin I like your approach to combines, one less adjustment to monkey with. Thats the main reason I use screens instead of the adjustable sieve. My friend likes his airfoil chaffer but I havent followed his lead yet. Now with 2 less than positive testimonials, I think I will put off buying one. Tom in MN

D

Only difference I know about is that the Petersen Airfoil built by loewen is galvanized and has dividers welded into the part, where the Harvest Service is painted black, and you bolt on dividers. Depending on your model of combine and what you are combining, they can make a big difference, allowing more air to blow out the chaff and more hole space for the grain to fall through.

Potsdam_Boy

Tried a harvest service airfoil, worked good in oats and soybeans.In 150 bu+ corn had to slow down to keep corn from going over.Grain samples in all crops was super clean.Corn silks would also plug airfoil in tough conditions.Have 1460 with 6 row head in S E Mn.Put corn chaffer back in.