Combines TR98 combine troubles

header_school

hi i am from australia an we wore ours out in 250 hrs an new holland were no where to be seen

tj

Did you replace the gearbox shafts as wellIJ $2500 seems excessive for your cost. I've been rebuilding the shafts and replacing sprockets on the rear of NH rotors for several years. The older machines thru original S3 rotor setup will usually have around 2K hours, and 650 hrs is probably about right for newer machines with heavy rotor bars and agitator spikes. I'm not sure, but I think that the shortness of sprocket life is due to more power applied, a heavier rotor, and a tendency to slug due to rotor bar type. All this would tend to allow the sprockets to jerk back and forth inside the chain links --

Bubba

I don't know about Squid's combine but on my TR98 650 hours on those drive sprockets would be a blessing - 400 to 500 hours is normal.

Mark

Barry, send me your email address. Would like to discuss this issue with you. wddale@hotmail.com

squid

Bubba you have a good point about the 270 hp i still would hope they would last longer then that.

NHD

The problem starts with the coupling chain breaking some of the links on the side. Some chains they bought from Japan and they brokestarting a chain reaction(pardon the pun)Take it apart and rebuild what ever necessary. Go for warranty as much as you can.I've had 4 TR-98's with good luck. Only 2 had broken coupling chains and they were replaced before big trouble.The 98'shave plenty of horsepowe so that puts extra strain on parts.

brooksy

We run three 98s and hire a fourth one all have done 800 to 1000 hrs and have never had any trouble with rotor sprockets.We replace the three chaines at the start of the season the one that joins the rotor boxes and the two drive sprockets we dont put the join links in. Because in our area there we others that had the links in and there,s were badley worn .We dont grease or oil them because they collect dust and we us canadian chain agri-tuff it costs more but its beter.

nji

The chains break when the drive belt is worn more at one place from slipping