Combines conventional vs rotary

Greg

Sounds like we are in about the same situation. We have an M and are looking for a second combine that is a little bigger. An N6 has about 150% the capacity of our M and an N7 has close to 200%. A Gleaner factory man told us that the early Ns had some problems. After all the updates (around 100 or so),they were excellant machines. By 1983, most the the upgrades were installed at the factory. He recommended a post 1983 machine. He thought the engine on the N7 was one of the best engines Allis made. It came from an Allis crawler. We will probably buy an N7. Hope this helps. Greg

Jim

I prefer the rotaries and agree with Ed about your dealer being involved. It makes the transition that much easier. There is nothing wrong with a good l3 however and you would be quite familiar with it from the operation point of view.

Ilnewholland

I grow soybeans for seed for Garst, Asgrow and FS and to get the best grain you almost have to have a rotor combine. Some JD's can do a good job but it is much less work to do it with a rotor combine. I also grow food grade white corn and that too is more easy to set the combine with a rotor.

CarlP

I drove conventional Gleaners for over 15 years....I switched to an Axial Flow 5 years ago....

Brian

I agree. The seed compaines we raise for say the same thing. We received our returns on cleanouts the other day for one variety that we raise. Our rotary fared quite well against my neigbors machines. The neighbor with a 7720 averaged 6.7%, one with a STS averaged 5.5% and our R-72 averaged 4.4%. We all had the same variety and same growing conditions etc...

Rod

I am running with Gorden bars and cover plates and I never change my concaves and I have every other wire pulled out of my large wire concaves. Just follow all the directions you get from Marv when you order his items and I don't think you can go wrong. We are hauling corn to town out of the bins now and my DMG has been from .3 to.6 and F.M. has been .2 to .9 mostly .5, remember that has been through a few augers since harvest and the moisture has been between 14% and 15% (no heat to dry).

Brian

I don't doubt your results for a minute. Our "numbers" for corn are nearly identical to that. We have two big hog producers in the area who are very fussing when buying corn. Basically they won't take corn from conventional machine. They have breeding herds and won't take the risk of mold in cracked kernals.

RPM

Rotary_Axial-flow_STS, the design will do the same as a straw rack with a lot less mechanism, We have reached the limit of amount of steel_weight of a combine, Imagine the size of a rig with say 10 straw racks in one combine, the sieves, fan, drives, cylinder, beater, feeder, not to mention the weight, then carry 500 bushel tank, with rotary you can at least have a little room for growth.