Combines Anyone converted 974 to narrow 20

NHD

The NH corn head is the same gearbox as JD.NH doesn't make any of the tin work. The auger many not be quite right length either.My suggestion is go to a JD. Several machine shops can do the coversions.Personally I wouldn't bother. We used 20" rows for 24 years and went back to 30"New hybreds evenly spaced are doing just as good in 30's.

nitro

I'm not sure, but I bet doing this would be quite a challenge since the 974 has individual row unit drive chains. You could get under the head (with appropriate safety stands_stops installed, of course) and imagine everything 10" closer. What would hitIJ (gearboxes, stripper plates, etcIJ) By the way, are you aware that NH offers 20" rows on the current production 996 headerIJ Finally, NHDon is incorrect. The NH cornhead and Deere's do not have any parts in common. They happen to fit on each others machine fairly easy, but that's it.

NHD

I have had JD corn heads on my NH TR combines since 1978.They are indeed the same with two exceptions.1. the !*+! short drive chains.2. The carrier bearing on the front end of the snapping roller.JD would not sell the patent for the "through the gear box drive shaft" therefore the chains were used. The new NH cornheads are actually better than the JD,with the short sections of drive shaft. I like the auger slip clutch better too.If NH is making a 20" head that is by far a better choice. The old heads have little or no resale value.

nitro

They are essentially the same design except for the items you listed. I meant that they were not built from the same prints in the same factory. I thought some people may misunderstand this from your first email. I agree that the new header is much better and the best way to get to 20 inches. They have 8 and 12 row available in 20 and 22 inch spacing.