Combines SuperSteer on a MagnumIJ

grk56

The Genesis tractor with the SuperSteer will turn much shorter than an MX or 8000 JD when it is set out to a wider position. I had an 8870 with SS and am running an 8310 currently. The 8870 would turn much tighter than the 8310 or the MX270 that I demo'd.

bm

Yes, when it is set to a wider position, BUT is it worth the extra expense, and all the other moving parts to deal with when the tractor is 10-20 years old. Plus, how will it fit on the current Magnum chassisIJ

Gene9750sts

Take a look at a 8000 or a MX.Then look at a Genesis.Do you notice how many wieghts are on the front of the Genesis to get it ballastedIJThey have to put these huge wieghts on the front because they moved the engine and everything else to the back of the TRACTOR,so they could have a over engineered front axle that doesn't seem to me to have much more than a few inches less of turning radius than Deere or Case..Can someone disagree with me on thatIJDoes this justify to anyone to have a few inch's more radius and have unneeded wieght on the rear of the tractorIJ This doesn't make sense.What were the NH engineers thinkingIJ

grk56

I'm not trying to say that the MX needs the SS front axle. I think that this tractor has other problems besides the front axle. But the SS front on a Genesis, at the wider setting is significantly more than a few inches shorter turning than the MX or 8000. The basic extra parts are merely two tie rods and a pivot bearing that is the same bearing that most 4 wheel drive tractors use for their center pivot. In so far as the weights are concerned, have you ever considered what the ramifications of moving the engine up and forward areIJ Try to envision dropping the pan on an 8000 series for engine service and overhaul. I myself currently use an 8310 to plant and run my auger wagon. I like the tractor. But the Genesis is also a very nice tractor.

mx270

I made the mistake of talking about ss on a modified version of the mx on this talk show and got in to it with these big blue fans the last i herd is that they were just trying to use it so they had a temp replacement for the current genesis line that buhler now owns until they could come up with another new tractor design

Old_farm_boy

I would say that the ballasting is better on the MX and 8000 too.I don't like adding weight when I'm cultivating or planting.If you figure how much you compact over years of operation it save's you money.I have owned a Genesis SS and it was a good tractor,I didn't like the road speed(18mph)and the hydraulic noise's in the steering and levers when operated.It did turn sharp if it was set out.But I never needed to set it out to much.

col

If you get a Deere 8000 then you wont need a poxy supersteer axle!!! cos the JD's got a great turning circle and gearbox.

Dairyman

Everyone seems to be in a rut thinking that All tractors are used for tillage in 30" rows. We farm hills, wide rows and make hay, so a tight-turning FWA set wide is nice. Plus there are many uses where you just need the PTO hp, not the traction, so the Genesis can drop all that extra weight that wrecks your hayfields on the 8000's. Having the engine set back in the frame reduces stress on the drievetrain and eliminates long internal shafts. It also makes the hood noticably smaller and easier to see over_around. As far as extra parts, the JD uses more parts of the expensive variety i.e.-- gears, shafts and dropboxes -- than the Genesis. I don't have the specs in front of me, but isn't a ballasted Genesis about the same weight as a ballasted 8000IJ

bm

Dairyman...you need to sit in an 8000 (or Magnum) to realize that the small hood on the Genesis isn't easier to see out of. The "wasp-waste" design of the 8000 (and later copied by CaseIH on the Magnum) makes it much easier to see the ground right in front of you and between the front tires and tractor body.

Dairyman

I'm not usually doing work where I need to see under the engine area - like cultivating. I'm talking looking ahead, just over the nose of the tractor to watch for badger holes in the hayfield or the planter mark. I like the shorter_lower hoodline.