Combines Harvesting weedy wheat

bm

The problem rotors have in weedy conditions are the same they have in green-stem bean conditions - they rope around that rotor. That's where a conventional combine was always better in soybeans. If you're set on a NH, I'd suggest a TX conventional over a TR for these conditions only. As for a rotor, the Deere STS with the tines and "egg-shape" concave will solve your roping problems. My two cents.

John_W

The best way to handle the green weeds is to swath the crop and let the weeds dry and then use a pickup header on the combine. If that can't be done then the smash and shake or a rasp bar cylinder and straw walker would be your best bet. Bindweed will wrap up on the cylinder and beater too if your not careful. Forget the straw chopper too, green stuff will cause problems there too.

Ilnewholland

A few years back we had very weedy wheat here in Il. We sprayed it with burndown chemical. After a few days you could combine like there was no weeds at all in it. If you are going to double crop after wheat it does not cost you anything to do this.

Ilnewholland

I was also thinking that maybe you could install the agitator(sp) tines on the rotor. They use them for rice and combining that has a lot of green stuff in it. I do not know if this will work just my $.01

2rotorsrule

conventionals do handle weeds like wild buckwheat a little better than rotors, and they will wrap the rotors. I guess it depends how many weeds you have. If the problem is really bad, swathing is almost a must no matter what combine you're going to have. If its not too bad a TR isn't crippled by any means for some weeds, it will handle quite a bit, especially the new TR 99 with the Genesis engine. That engine has lots of torque. I guess its more common sense on how bad the problem is.