Combines why buy CATIJ

Roster

We run 2 CaseIH combines, but are interested in a Cat 480 (or 470 when they become available). We understand one combine probably can't do the work of two, but one extra operator is not always available. We have some background in construction, and have worked with the Cat dealer network and service support before (this is one of the reasons we are interested in their combines). The service area of our local Cat operation is so far ahead of any area Ag dealer it makes them look like they are working in a home garage. The hours they keep (4:00 am to 10:00 p.m.) are also far beyond what anybody else offers. As far a price goes, the number we were given a year ago for a 480 was $220,000 with two heads (I assumed this was retail list price, provided by a district rep at an ag show). Doing the math, the price of the combine alone should have been about $185,000. A previous post on this site quoted a 480 dealer price at $168,000, which would make sense with how the retail list vs. actual pricing usually works. Also, the rep told us that they expect the price to come down a little once the combines are manufactured in Omaha. The high labor rates in Europe add to the current rate. If you compare the 480 price to the 9750 sts or an R72 it is maybe $20,000 higher. I have been told that retail for an R72 is $202,000 with 2 heads, and the 9750 retail list is $180,000 without heads. I think some of this high price nonsense you hear comes from other dealers trying to divert interest in the Cats. It is certainly not two or three times as expensive as a red or green combine. Are we buying one this yearIJ Not with the currrent grain prices, etc. We also want to give Cat more time to get the bugs out of the 470 design, since there won't be many of them out in the field for a while. But I think they are on the right track as far as quality of materials, design, etc. Farm machinery is becoming more like construction equipment in quality; who is better at that than Cat. Cat says the combines are designed to double the lifespan of a competitive machine, so the extra money spent up front could be a good investment. As far as looks are concerned, everybody has their own opinion. my $.02

mo_farm

You must be a lot closer to a cat dealer than we are.the ones around here only went to sell dozers. there are a few challengers around but have not heard of any service like you have there.

CDog

The Cat dealership network is unmatched. If you can imagine how many industrial pieces of equipment our out in the US that they have to keep a parts inventory, it is amazing. Construction is similar to agriculture in that they need the parts just as bad as a farmer does, they still loose money when the machine is not running. Most Cat dealers have 24hr parts availabilty and guarantee that if they do not have the part in stock they will get it to you in under 24hrs. Cat is the industry leader in parts, New Holland contracts there part inventory mangament out to Cat in Morton, Ill.

aggie

i have worked on construction as well and one of the major selling points of the cats is their dealer support. many deere dealers have been slow to respond, and compared to cat, they dont seem to be as enthusiastic as cat. after the sale, they will service the machine, come see how it is working out for you, bring you free goodies, all the good stuff. no, a free hat doesn't sell me a piece of 200k equipment, but it helps to see that they care,